Chapter 5 - Bring home the bacon

Hello guys! It’s been a while since the last time I posted an update. But, here I am now. And I hope you’ll love this part too! Don’t forget to vote and let me you know what you think of the story!

 -iamletterl

CHAPTER FIVE 

Jared

 This is it. I’m about to earn another gold from this competition, my last gold medal for this quiz bee. I will never let anything get in the middle of that. I wore the most comfortable clothes I can find in my closet and head straight to our school. I was just right in time before our car, technically the car the school provides for the delegates of Hampton High who’ll compete, will leave.

I head straight to where it was parked and opened the door to let myself in. Then I saw Adrianna, wearing a red tight fitting dress that hugs her body like it was destined to be there. She was busy having final reviews with her notes, and she’s wearing glasses too. When does Ade wear glasses, I thought. She looked like the hottest boss every employee wishes to have.

‘Seriously? Are you planning to stand there and lose the competition?’ she looked up from her notes and I liked the way she said it. She’s kind and trying to be funny.

‘Can you please stop what you’re doing.’ I told her.

‘Excuse me?’ she asked, bewildered.

‘No matter what, those gold medal will proudly dangle on your chest.’ I said. Then she blushed. I then realized how that sounded. Stupid.

‘Oh, I mean, I know we’ll win, okay? So stop that, please. ‘ I said, heat rising up from my neck to my whole face. I bet she can see me. But I turned sideways and pretended to look somewhere else. Who wants to be caught blushing? That’s just not me.

The car, after thirty minutes of fast driving, halted. We were in Baldridge Highschool. There is where the annual competitions are held. I can see hundreds of students around the state in groups of small circle in the open space in front of the building. Teachers, who happen to be their coaches, dictate final words of wisdom for other delegates. And there are some who just kept on building up the pressure inside their delegates’ heads. I pity them. It’s cool that Ms. Anderson, our mentor, is the coolest of them all.

 ‘One last thing before you compete.’ She placed her right hand on my left shoulder and her right on Ade’s.

 ‘Win. ’I said for her.

‘That’s right. Bring home the bacon, guys.’ Ms. Anderson practically giggles and she just called us ‘guys’ like we’re the coolest buddies in the whole Baldridge High.

‘Bacons’ I corrected her. She just looked at me and snob. She’s been like an aunt to me. Come on, this is an annual event for me.

‘Of course we will win this competition.’ Adrianna said. Her dedication’s evident on her facial features. Fierce eyes, sexy as hell lips. How I wish she was with me those past years. ‘Right, Parker?’ she looked at me, grin flashing.

‘I will.’ I answered. She rolled her eyes.

‘Okay, enough talking. Let’s go.’ Ms. Anderson led us to the designated room. On our way, I asked Adrianna the most common question before competition.

‘Are you nervous?’

‘Not really.’ She replied with a sigh.

‘Clearly.’ I said then laughed. She just smiled. We’ll win this, I wanted to say to her.

‘hey, Ade.’ I blurted out.

 ‘Ade?’ she was surprised that I called her by her name, let alone Ade. I just ignored what she said.

‘If we’ll win this, you have to pay me.’ I said.

‘Are you crazy?’

‘Just a date. That’s all.’

‘Are you trying to make fun of me. Don’t bother yourself. I’m internalizing here.’ She inhaled deeply. I stopped her on her track. I faced her. She was stunned. I drew my face near hers. I didn’t know what got into me but I suddenly had the guts to do that.

‘What do you think you’re doing?’ she asked. She’s staring back. Awesome.

‘I’m asking you to go on a date with me if we’ll win, and I’m sure we will. So I’m asking you to go out with me this weekend. Plain and simple.’ I whispered on her ear. I just lost my mind to her scent. She smells seductive.

‘When I don’t? she inquired.

‘Well, I’m gonna have to make the whole Baldridge High know that you’re into me.’

‘Oh, you’re going to shout or do something crazier? Please, I want to witness that first hand. Pleasure will be mine.’ She mocked.

 I’m still inches from her face. She didn’t let go of my gaze. Is she playing with me? Playing or not, I’m enjoying myself here.

I moved inches closer to her face. ‘I’m not going to shout. Not my thing. I’ll kiss you, love. Plain and simple.’ When I’m just a breath away, or even less than that, she moved backwards.

‘Fine! Fine! Idiot!’ she’s yelling at me, disgusted.

I smiled. ‘This weekend.’

  ‘Whatever.’

‘Okay than, let’s go inside and win.’ I offered my hand to escort her inside, she walk past me and head inside with fast strides. Finally, this weekend.

After an hour…

  Adrianna

 ‘Yes! I made it! I made it! I made it!’ I was too vindicated and I couldn’t hide my joy. We won the competition. We scored way above the runner-ups. We nailed it! I was jumping all over the place. I wouldn’t care if other people will see me like this.

I didn't break the winning streak. I did it Matt.

I am progressing with the plan swiftly. Valedictorian, baby!

‘Really? Did we just win the lottery? Jared smirked when he asked me.

‘Don’t be an asshole. I’m celebrating here.’ I said , sniggering.

‘Whatever. I’ll be celebrating this weekend.’ He reminded me of the deal he just made. I suddenly stopped celebrating.

‘Hey, that’s just pure sarcasm.’ I told him.

 ‘I don’t think so. Six o’ clock, love.’

I’m too happy to think about it now. I’ll have to deal with it some other time.

 I was loathing that I said yes. But there’s this foreign feeling. I couldn’t put my finger on it. But it’s something new. Something different. After all, why do I feel like it isn’t the worst thing? And I’m stuck here looking forward to it? It sucks.

Hope you liked this chapter! Don’t forget to vote and tell me anything! Thanks!