Chapter 1

Chapter 1 synopsis

- In the first chapter, nine-year-old Bruno comes home from school one day to discover the maid packing the things in his room.

- Bruno rushes to his mother and learns that the entire family is leaving Berlin because his father, an officer in the German military, had been given a prestigious job by the Fuhrer (or Fury as Bruno calls him.)

- Bruno is upset because he loves exploring this house he has lived in all his life and does not want to leave behind his three best friends for life.

  This chapter establishes that Bruno knows very little of the world around him. He does not recognise the Fuhrer or even know what exactly it is that his Father does, all Bruno knows about his Fathers job is that it very important and that he gets to wear a 'fantastic uniform'.

Perspective and POV

  The chapter is narrated in the first person by a narrator who clearly does not understand the significance of the events he is experiencing, and this conveys Bruno's innocence and ignorance.

Take note

- Bruno's appropriation of the title 'Fuhrer'

- Bruno is a German child whose native language is German and it is therefore impossible for him to mistakenly substitute 'Fury' an English word for the German 'Fuhrer'.

Important quotes to memorise

- 'The banister was the best thing about this house'. Bruno extensively describes the banister in the house; this technique works in unison with perspective to convey his innocence.

- 'No one needed Gretel because she was a hopeless case'.

- 'and he heard her speaking loudly to him until Father spoke louder than Mother could and pt a stop to their conversation'.

Questions

- Analyse Bruno as the protagonist of the novel.

Innocent, he knows very little of the world around him. Being a German, he did not know how to pronounce 'Fuhrer'.

- How did the writer portray Bruno's character in Chapter 1?

Bruno is sheltered from the reality. 'fantastic uniform.' This shows that he did not know that his father wore the uniform and killed a lot of Jews.

Summary

Welcome to Berlin, Germany in the 1940s.

Bruno comes home to find the maid, Maria, packing his belongings.

His mother says that their family—including him, his sister (Gretel), his mother, and father—are moving for his dad's job. Bruno doesn't know what his dad does, but he knows it's something important, and that he wears a cool uniform.

None too happy about this news, Bruno goes to his room and his mom goes to his father's office, which is a no-fly zone for the kids. Bruno's parents argue, presumably about the move.

The door closes and Bruno goes upstairs to help Maria pack. Sigh.