🌸chapter thirty🌸

It was now the next morning, and Sam had been waiting outside of Ji-ae's dorm building since the moment he woke up.

He was leant on the nearby stone statue eitherside of the building's entrance, tapping the folded piece of paper - over and over again - on the back of his hand. Contemplating whether or not he should keep Ji-ae's true family heritage from her, or tell her about it.

As he kept his focus on the loose dirt below his feet, he heard footsteps coming from inside the building. He decided that it was now or never. He glanced at the letter in his hand but it resulted in him just shaking his head and going to walk away.

"Sam?" He heard her call, stopping him in his tracks. He scrunched his face together at his rash decision of walking away, but nonetheless he turned around to see Ji-ae.

"Good morning." He said, waving to her with a small smile on his face.

"Good morning." Ji-ae responded with, coming closer to Sam. "Why is it your up and about at this time?" She asked, pushing her hair behind her back.

"Just a morning stroll." He answered. "You know? Fresh air, smell of the morning dew, and flowers."

"I don't believe you." Ji-ae said confidently.

"Do you have to believe me?" He asked, folding over his arms.

Ji-ae shook her head and then observed Sam's crossed arms, to them see a piece of folded paper in his hand.

"What's that?" She asked, taking a step closer.

"What's what?" He responded with, licking over his bottom lip a few times.

"That." She said, pointing at the paper in his hand. "Have you started drawing in your free time?" She asked, reaching for the paper for then Sam to only snatch it away and hold it above his head.

"No." He said, glancing at the paper above his head. Ji-ae gave him a funny look, re-treating her hand back to her side.

"Then what is it?" She asked, eyeing at the paper.

"Nothing." He answered, lowering his hand back down.

Ji-ae laughed. "Now I know you're lying to me." She quipped. "What is it?"

"I can't do this." Sam said, shaking his head.

Ji-ae furrowed her brows at him. "Do what?"

"Just know that, I will always look at you the same way." Sam handed Ji-ae the letter. "Read it, please."

"You said it was nothing." Ji-ae quipped.

"Just read it, Ji-ae." He countered, slowly walking away. "I'll understand if I don't see you for the rest of the day."

Ji-ae furrowed her brows, chortling slightly. "Why are you being so cryptic?" She laughed, her brows still knitted together.

"You will understand." He said "If you read that letter."

"So it's a letter?" Ji-ae asked. "From who?"

Sam pursed his lips, twiddling his fingers excessively. "Just know, that he already knows. Given the reason he's been pushing you away."

"Sam-"

"I need to go." He quickly scurried off, ignoring the calls that his friend was shouting.

"Who's 'he'?" Ji-ae mumbled to herself, looking down at the letter in her hand. She sighed, walking off to the side whilst unfolding the paper. Her actions were soon stopped when a feather fall out from inbetween the folding, slowly floating to the floor.