Finishing Blow [14]

Reader's POV

Maybe because I was in a meadow, my sense of peace became real and my frown lightened as I tried to enjoy the fresh air.

We had just gotten off Epona and Link was putting some of his supplies away while checking out (more like you checking him out, am I right?) the map he held. We had somehow unknowingly ran away from the forest's direction and stumbled upon this pretty view.

Without thinking twice, I kept a certain distance between him and myself as I stare in amusement at his ever-changing expression. First, a sigh. Second, a tired look. Last but not least, a small frown that he held for a while before turning around and getting caught by surprise.

"Since when were you here?"

"Since your extreme expression changes"

"..." he could only sigh in response as I grinned.

"Is there anywhere you wish to stop before we continue on?" Navi popped in and Link looked lost in thought.

"I think we should go gather some supplies," I chimed in.

"That's a legitimate concern," he seemed out of it.

"Right..." I decided to watch over him, if he was worried over something, I didn't want to force him to tell me about his troubles. I'd rather he told me when he felt it was right. Maybe he was still hung up on... Sorata.

"Just resources?" Navi circled around us.

"Yeah, that should be fine," Link finally looked up and nodded.

"Alright, let's find a town," I added before stuffing my hand into my pockets. I was met with pain on a fingertip and I pulled out immediately, biting my lip to stop from crying out.

"This is..." it was a piece of paper. I had gotten a paper cut from a piece of paper I hadn't expected to see.

In my confusion, I pulled it out and unfolded it to see a name written in a child's handwriting. It was a little hard to read but it seemed to spell, Raven.

"Raven..." the moment that name left my lips, I was hit with a truckload of memories.

"... Raven!" I turned around.

One time to the left and then another to my right. I clutched at my chest and dropped to the grassy field's soil.

I screamed. I had my hands over my head.

The memories that so slowly, but vividly entered my mind drove me insane.

"NO!" my vision was getting blurry, tears must be forming though I couldn't actually feel them trickling down.

"(y/n)..." I could hear a loud voice calling that actually sounded barely above a whisper to me but, I couldn't respond. I was still screaming, I had lost two of my best friends in an accident, within the small span of a decade. Not even by old age.

'Why was I so irresponsible? Ah, this is me. The damsel in distress. Why couldn't I find some way to save them? Am I the only one that'll be saved? This pointless soul?', thoughts like those started eating my self-esteem up. It was becoming harder to breathe, I was hardly stopping to take in any air as I kept trying to scream louder and longer for...

For...

For who?

What am I aiming for?

Those thoughts that used to swallow me in the beginning...

I see...

These were the memories of my childhood that I tried to erase along with the guilt of killing him.