Chapter 6

The shock that Marigold had experienced in her room that night was nothing compared to resuscitation. Consciousness was immediate when she awoke from her dream. This time, however, she was aware of her surroundings but entirely separate from them; reduced to an outsider looking in on the world that she'd temporarily left. Poor Tavington was almost as lost as she was. He understood what the technicians were trying to do but that didn't stop his presence from stirring animosity amongst them. He refused to leave her side throughout the whole process and challenged anyone who suggested otherwise.

Numerous long wires and thin lines filled with blood surrounded them. Machinery was a new concept to him and perhaps when all is said and done, it was helpful for him to see it being used to bring the woman he loved back from certain death. Anxiety from both ends combined with the cold air inside the ambulance's cabin caused them to shake violently. The only thing that seemed real to either of them was their tightly clasped hands. The more alert Marigold became, the tighter she grasped. He didn't know this at the time, but she was fighting to remember what had happened and as her memories collected themselves, she realized that she had fallen off the edge of the earth. His hand was her anchor, the only thing keeping her from slipping away again.

Things changed drastically when they reached the hospital. While the bullet had only grazed a major artery, emergency surgery was required and they were separated almost immediately after arriving. The moment that the connection was broken, Marigold's heartrate plummeted. There were doubts amongst the staff that she would even survive the long trek to the OR. After flatlining once in the elevator and immediately after going under the knife, she truly was lucky that the leading doctor on her case was persistent. A young doctor who was just as stubborn as she was would prove to be an asset, but something else would be required to save the life of Marigold Casey that fateful morning.

Tavington should have been curious about his surroundings but instead, he sat in complete silence and stillness for the six hours that followed. Jake and Giselle arrived in the last hour. The mood was somber, a far cry from the usual atmosphere that their presence inspired. Giselle knew that Marigold would be concerned about Moxie and decided to bring her along but was stopped halfway through the door. So, she would go out to her van every twenty minutes or so to check on her. Had Tavington been more aware, he would have realized that every time Giselle stepped back into the waiting room, her heavy makeup had dampened and smudged a little bit more.

Before long, the early morning light started to reflect off of the parking garage across the street. It was around this time that the door opened and a middle-aged woman in surgeon's attire stepped into the waiting room.

"Is anyone from the immediate family of," she glanced at her clipboard, unapologetically "Marigold Victoria Casey present?" Jake practically sprinted across the room.

The tension was heavy. Giselle remained in her seat, clutching tightly to its flimsy cushioning. Neither of them could hear the exchange so of course, they speculated. Tavington knew before Giselle did. As the conversation grew heated, he could read the surgeon's face like an open book because he had seen that same expression so many times before in camp after combat. Jake's response, on the other hand, told Giselle everything that she needed to know.

"Don't say that to me! Don't you dare say that to me! You have no right to say that you tried your best to save her!"

The surgeon's grey eyes moved across the room. They were glazed over and quickly filling with regret. First, she looked to Tavington. His stare was sharper and more challenging than ever in the wake of his greatest loss. He held her gaze for a moment before she turned to a softer target, Giselle, who was losing her composure by the minute. She gave her a quick albeit sorrowful nod of her head before exiting through the door with Jake behind her. Everyone in the waiting room listened closely as his fury continued to grow.