Chapter 9

Everything about Waterford High School was new, crisp and pristine and its interior was just as sleek and modern as its exterior. Glass geometric windows accompanied by brightly colored armchairs lined the hallways leading to Principal Ballard's office. Marigold and Giselle led the way through the glistening corridors with their male counterparts following less confidently behind them. They allowed momentary delays here and there in order for Tavington to catch up. Aside from coughing frantically as he inhaled the glass-cleaner infused air and sneezing in response to the particles that rose from the newly carpeted floors with every step, he was irrevocably drawn in by the brilliant checkering of stained glass that lined the windows of the administrative office.

"Marigold!" He called from several paces behind. "Marigold! Inigo Jones himself would be proud of this architecture! The last time that I saw windows of such-"

"-cool your jets, Fancypants!" Jake moaned, pulling him through the sharp edges of the glass doorway.

Marigold stopped and turned, allowing Giselle and Jake to blather away at the unsuspecting receptionist. "Let's grab a seat by the windows and you can tell me about Inigo Jones, okay?"

The pair cozied up in the corner and continued what would have been an enriching conversation if Tavington hadn't caught a glimpse of the young man leaving the principal's office. Marigold, who was gradually getting better at reading the endless series of calms and storms that lived inside of Tavington's eyes, was immediately compelled to direct her attention across the room. At first, she thought that it was Baako that he had seen and her nerves knotted up almost immediately. But all was well when she realized who it was.

"What did you do this time?" She taunted the lanky young troublemaker from her chair.

"Nothing out of the ordinary, Miss Casey." He approached them and gave her a charming grin that Tavington could read like a book. "The good news is, you'll be seeing me at South every Tuesday through Sunday until I graduate. Ballard thinks that he's punishing me, but between you and I..." the young man paused, openly baffled by the way Tavington was staring at him, "who's this?"

Marigold smiled pleasantly. Dealing with young Tommy Martin was something of an artform that she had mastered over many years. The relentless case of puppy love that he held for her dated back to her dishwashing days at his niece's café. "Tommy, William. William, Tommy. He's a former honor's student and will surely be one again once I'm through with him." An uncomfortable pause. "That is your cue to shake hands."

Tommy threw him the most intimidating glare that he could muster. With the silver line of braces peeking out between his lips, it came across as more precious than anything. "Of course, William! Your... cousin, I assume."

"William is my boyfriend." Marigold explained calmly. She had to spell things out for this one. "And he just started working for Tess this morning. You'll likely be seeing a lot of one another very soon. Tommy washes dishes after school. Or at least, he used to before he received his life sentence to South. I want you to be nice to William, okay? That means no Silly String or Nerf Blaster bombardments. Do I make myself clear?"

"Stings like a bee, doesn't she?" The blue-eyed boy smiled, only a fraction, at Tavington.

He'd silently prided himself in being able to transcend the similarities between Tess and Benjamin Martin, but this was almost too much...

Tavington understood fully that Marigold was an intelligent woman going in, but he was gradually beginning to realize the extent of her intelligence. He could tell that she was parsing everything about this conversation and had sensed the disconnect- perhaps even before anyone else did. She removed a narrow, silver wristwatch from the sleeve of her favorite yellow bumblebee print cardigan and checked the time. It appeared she would be able to get Tavington off of whatever hook he had landed himself on. For the time being, anyway.