~Memories, instant noodles, and letters~

Click.  Click.  Click

"Ah...damn it"

A mumbled voice escaped a woman at the far end cubicle. Small fingers playing with the mouse against the pad.  A huff escaped slightly chapped lips.

"Max. It's getting late.  Me and the bros were going to grab drinks down the street.  You want to come?" A deep voice spoke.

Eyes blinked softly.

"Ah no,  Josh.  It's fine,  I'm going to stay late and go through these pictures I shot today.  Some of them are sick shots"

The man named Josh smirked. 

"Alright,  Max.  Catch ya later"

With those words,  he disappeared out of sight.

"Maxine Caulfield. 21 years old. Photographer for J. Wells Photography.  Former student of Blackwell Academy."

Max sighed. Her subconscious buzzing.

"Now a grown ass woman. God, I can't believe it's been three years since I left Arcadia Bay"

Tired eyes scanning picture after picture.

"I never thought I'd be living in Portland and working for a good photography business but I'm Max Caulfield.  Always full of surprises"

Her thoughts stopped.  Went out like a candle flame in the wind.

Chloe.

Max bit her lip. She felt the sting in her chest.  The burning in her throat. 
Closing her computer browser and gallery for the night,  she grabbed her messenger bag and turned off her desk lamp.

Pushing her chair in,  Max began to leave the dimly lit office.  It was time to crash. Hard.

The taxi rides were all the same.

Quiet.  Music playing, softly.  And Max  always in her head.  Memories played like film.  Chloe and herself on the railroad tracks.  Chloe's secret hideout away from hell.  She looked out the taxi window.  Max sighed,  heavily. It had been three years but she didn't heal much.  Sure she could fight back the tears but it wouldn't stop them. 

The taxi cab pulled up to a small apartment complex.  Handing the driver his pay for the night,  Max stepped out,  closing the door behind her. The cab was off.  Ready to pull another all nighter.  Max looked up at the sky for a moment.  She inhaled.  Then exhaled.  It was if she was moving in for the first time again. Soon a growl made itself known.

Cheeks flustered slightly.

"Oh man..I'm starving"

Her shaggy brown hair bounced as she walked up the stairs to the main door.  Reaching for the handle,  Max felt chills run down her spine. Her stomach sank.  Chloe was in her thoughts again.  Dizziness over shrouded her.

×

"Max,  you know what would be hella  sweet?!"

"What?"

"If we really got a pirate ship and took over this lame ass town"

Max snorted a laugh.

"Alright captain Chloe, I'll get right on that"

Laughter filled the air as the two continued to chat.

×

Her mind was playing tricks on her again.  Max sniffles.  Tears running down her face.  The dizziness subsiding a bit.  Max pulling the door open,  she slipped inside.