Electric Love

Summary: Reader's powers keep her from getting too close to anyone, until Bucky makes a surprising discovery.

Song Inspiration: Electric Love by BORNS

__________________________________________________________________________

"Hey, if it wasn't for me, you both would've died, alright? Whose idea was it to knock down the power lines anyway? I can't believe you both stepped in that puddle at the same time..." you trailed off, laughing about it now but still shaken by the sight of Sam and Clint motionless outside the HYDRA compound.

Sam smirked, "Well, I guess it's lucky we have a walking defibrillator with us at all times, eh, Y/N?"

You had sent small electric shocks to both of their hearts to get them beating again. "Yeah, lucky I took pity on you instead of letting you die of your own stupidity," you said with an affectionate smile.

A laugh erupted around the dinner table as the team finished eating. Bucky caught your eye and sent you a smile, which you returned. The former-Winter Soldier was one of your best friends and you were grateful to have him. The whole team, in fact. The past few years had been rough for you so finding the Avengers and being asked to join was a Godsend.

Rising from your seat with dirty dishes in hand, you headed for the kitchen sink.

"Coming through!" you bellowed, warning your teammates in your path. Clint stepped to the side while Natasha walked past you, giving you a wide berth. You didn't take it personally.

Having come from a family of mutants, you were the only one whose powers never manifested around puberty. You were okay with being "normal", though, having seen the struggles that came with having a supernatural ability that was sometimes hard to manipulate. You figured it was better this way, until you got struck by lightning on a hike a few years ago. The strike would have killed a human, but for you it triggered your mutation and now you could generate and manipulate electricity. Often useful as an Avenger.

The downfall, though, was that you couldn't always control it. When your emotions were heightened, you had a tendency to send out shocks to the closest person, object, or appliance. Mostly non-lethal, but just to be safe you avoided all human contact. It got a little lonely, but you never wanted to risk hurting anyone. You had your teammates and friends who would show you affection in other ways.

"Hey, Y/N," said Bucky, capturing your attention. "Ready for another round tonight?" he asked, cocky smile at his lips.

"If you think you can keep up, Metal Man," you responded, a challenge in your voice. "Half hour."

"I'll be there," he met your eyes, chin jutting out in confidence.

You hid your blushing face, keeping your gaze on the soapy dish in your hand.

_________________

Two hours later, you were both in the thick of it, fingers and thumbs flying as your eyes remained glued to the scene in front of you.

"They're on your six, Y/N, you gotta shake 'em," Bucky said with intensity.

"I know! I'm gonna duck into that room and set a trap. Can you cover me?"

"On it."

One of your hobbies was playing video games, especially third-person shooting games. You grew up playing them and it was something that you could still enjoy even after receiving your powers. Although Tony did have to keep a few extra cordless controllers on hand, since you had fried one or two by accident in the past.

Bucky knew how much the game meant to you so he agreed to try it and quickly got hooked. The rest of the team found it strange that you both wanted to fake-kill people during fake-combat when you had to do that in real life, but there was something about the controlled environment and feeling of accomplishment after successfully finishing a battle was incredibly satisfying. It had become your and Bucky's thing and you loved having that time with him.