Chapter 7

As soon as Tobias injects the needle into my neck, he hooks up wires to himself, then to me.

"In sixty seconds the--"

"Tobias, I know," I say gently, suddenly aware that I can't back down now.  I'm stuck here, about to face my worst fears.  And it's all because of Peter.

"Right," he says, smiling.  He sits on the edge of my chair, rubbing the back of his neck.  I see his tattoos peeking out and smile.  I just need to remember the little things that make me happy before I go in here.

"Tobias," I say, starting to panic, but he grabs my hand.

"I know.  You only need to face one of these on your own.  That's why I'm going in with you.  To help you with all the others."  He pauses, about to say something, but we start to go under.

***

A field.

With a dark sky.

And crows, coming right at us.

"Crows?" he asks, rubbing my back.  It takes me a dull moment to realize we're standing alone in this field with no one else to protect us.  But I have Tobias.  I'll be okay.

"Hand me that knife in your back pocket," he says.

"I have a knife?" I ask.  I feel my back pocket, and sure enough, there it is.

"You do now," he says with a smirk.  "It's all about mind control.  Try and think about what you don't have, but should.  And trick yourself into thinking that you do have it."

I toss him the knife, and he catches it in one hand.  Then he throws it at the birds, and it keeps coming back to him again and again.  And he throws it over and over, until they're all gone.

I run up and hug him, but my feel become stuck and my arms are pulled from him by rope.  Higher and higher I'm lifted, and Peter shows up again, setting the stake on fire.  But I've done this before.

Wish for rain.  Wish for rain.

It comes.  And I face all of my other fears flawlessly, until one of my haunting fears comes.  I wasn't afraid of it for awhile, and that's when everyone called me Six.  They still do.  But only Tobias and I know that it's come back.  Because we tried.  Tobias and I really did try, but I couldn't do it.  I couldn't master my fear, and I was a coward.

But Simulation Tobias will just show up and try to do it, and I'll push him away.  I don't see why my real-life Tobias is so concerned.

I sit on the edge of the bed, waiting.  Waiting.  And finally, someone walks into the bedroom.  I look up, ready to fight off Tobias.

But it's Peter.

Peter is going to try to... to do what Tobias usually tries to do in this part of the simulation.

I tense up.

Tobias was right.

I do need to learn how to fight Peter in this sort of situation.