Chapter 8

Peter walks towards me, but all I remember is him kissing my neck, pulling my shirt...

The moment he touches me I back up, but I hear Tobias speak from the other side of the room.

"Don't run away from your fears," he says.  I can tell he wants to help, but he promised himself he wouldn't.

I know he's right.  I kick Peter as he tries to jump on me, and he groans.  He lunges forward, but I jump off of the bed.  I hit solid ground.  It's cold, and hard.  Wait.  Hard?  I thought this was carpet.  I look up and see that the bed is gone, replaced by a table.  I know what's coming, and I brace myself.

I see the gun on the table, and I pick it up.  I have to shoot my family.  If I don't, the woman next to me will shoot me.  She always shows up at this point.

So I let her shoot me.  And Tobias and I both jolt up from the chair.  Well, I sit up.  Tobias falls off the edge.

When I'm done laughing and he's done getting up, he helps me out of the chair, though my legs are shaking so badly he ends up picking me up.

"I thought you said I was in your fear landscape?" he says quietly, brushing my hair out of my face.  My entire stomach contracts as I realize what this means.

"I guess I'm not afraid to do... that... with you."

He gently puts me down on my feet, and we walk back to our house.  When we get there, Tobias sits on the edge of the bed.  He rests his face in his hands, leaning his elbows on his knees.

"Four, what's wrong?" I ask.  I only call him Four when I'm serious about something.  He looks up.

"I'm just trying to decide how much to tell you," he says eventually.  Then he gets up and walks into the bathroom.  The door closes, and I hear the shower turn on.

I feel more lost now than I did before I faced my fear.