Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

"It's hot," Michael stated as he stared at the tub of steaming water. It had taken both Allie and Amelia working together to move the large tub from Mrs. Treadwell's room into this one but finally they'd accomplished it and filled it with plenty of hot water.

"Yes, baths are hot," Amelia replied.

"When you're lucky," Allie added. She turned to Amelia, "Why don't you go on down to the library and wait on me? I'll help Michael get into his bath and I'll be down in shortly."

Amelia grinned mischievously and folded her hands behind her back as she walked to the door, "Suuure, I'll leave the two of you alone for a while."

Allie shook her head, "Honestly, Amelia!" Amelia laughed and quickly slipped from the room.

Allie turned her attention back to Michael who was still sitting up on the bed and staring at the steaming water of his bath, "Haven't you had a hot bath before?" Allie asked softly, hating that she already knew the answer.

"No," Michael turned his gaze to her and she felt her breath catch as those deep blue eyes met hers, "Ma'am or Th..Theodore gave me cold water in a bucket."

"Theodore knew you were in the attic?" Allie questioned, her spine stiffening. Michael said nothing in response, he simply nodded and attempted to put his legs over the bed only to groan in pain.

Allie forced herself to swallow back her anger at learning that Theodore truly was no better than she had thought him to be. She had to focus on Michael now and getting him better so they could leave this horrible place.

"Let me help you up, Michael," Allie insisted, rushing toward him. She put her arms and under his and both of them grunted as she helped to hoist him out of bed. She noticed that his legs were shaking and sweat slicked his brow, "Are you in a lot of pain?"

"I'm okay," Michael's voice was strained as he stood there stooped backed. Allie wondered just how tall he would be if he could stand straight. Already he was the same height as her so she guessed he would be close to six feet tall if not an inch or two taller.

Allie kissed his brow tenderly, "The bath will help relieve some of the soreness but I will brew you some tea after as well."

Michael didn't respond and Allie assumed it was from the amount of pain he was in, "I'll leave you to undress," she said quickly, pulling herself away from him and attempting desperately to ignore her urge to press her lips to his.

Allie started for the door and heard Michael let out an impatient groan. Turning back she realized he was fumbling with the buttons and the swollen knuckles on his right hand were leaving him unable to undo even a single one.

"Do you need help?" she asked with a smile.

Michael seemed completely miserable as he dropped his hands with defeat and nodded. Allie took a moment to simply gaze at him. His lip was swollen and cut, his jaw bruised and his disfigured brow had a gash across it and a nice purple shade to the skin covering it. His long black hair was stiff with blood and tangled terribly and stubble covered his jaw. His blue eyes were sad and hazed with pain and his skin was pale and sallow.

Allie would do anything and everything within her power to save this man, to help him, to heal his body and his spirit. Society might say he was ugly or a monster but society had a tendency to be very wrong about many things and Michael was one of those things about which they were mistaken.

Allie crossed the room to him and began to undo the buttons on his stained and tattered shirt. She was surprised to find that her hands shook and she licked her lips nervously. Why was she feeling this way?