Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

Allie had known that with Michael's love of books and stories the library would be his favorite place and she had been right. When they had stepped into the grand room the man had simply stopped and stared, spinning in slow circles as he'd taken in the sight of hundreds of thousands of books all lined up on shelves two stories high.

"Are all homes l..like this?" he'd whispered with awe.

Allie had smiled and laid her head on his shoulder as she'd leaned closer to him, "No, Michael. I wish they were though."

Michael had spent the day in the library even choosing to take his supper there. Allie and Amelia had taken turns sitting with him and climbing the ladder to get him books from up high because his bad leg made it impossible for him to get them himself.

Now darkness had fallen outside and the lamps were glowing in the library. Amelia had long since fallen asleep on the cushioned window seat and Allie had smiled when Michael had shuffled over to her and covered her with a soft blanket from the sofa that sat in the room. Tessa had remained locked in her room and Allie had heard the woman crying through the door when she had walked by it earlier in the day. She wanted to feel some sort of sympathy for the woman but found herself unable to. The woman had had nearly two decades to help Michael and had chosen not to; she deserved to feel ashamed and guilty.

Michael and Allie were sitting together on a bed of velvet covered feather tick pillows upon the floor. Michael was propped against the wall while Allie sat between his legs with her back resting against his chest. She knew that most would find the close contact she shared with Michael improper but Allie had little concern for propriety. She liked feeling him this close to her just as she enjoyed hearing his heart beat beneath her ear as she slept at night.

Michael was reading aloud from a book in his hands about a monster that terrorized the streets of London at night, claiming victims and inciting fear. Normally Allie would not have enjoyed a story like that but to be wrapped up in Michael's arms like this she would endure the nightmares and glances over her shoulder that this story was sure to cause.

When Michael closed the book Allie was surprised. She turned her head to glance at him, "Are you done reading?"

"Yes," he replied, staring at the window. "Can we t..talk?"

"Of course we can," Allie snuggled deeper and smiled when he sat the book aside and held her tighter.

"Amelia said we'll be leaving soon," Michael whispered, his fear clear to hear in his words.

"We'll have to," Allie agreed gently. "We can't be here when the Treadwell's return."

"I w..wouldn't let them hurt you," Michael assured her bravely.

Allie felt her heart skip several beats. She had never had a protector or even someone to offer to be one, "It's not me that I'm worried for, Michael. I won't let those people mistreat you ever again."

They were both silent a while and Allie trembled as Michael's fingertips ran up and down her bare forearms, "Where will we go?" Michael questioned.

Allie sighed, "I don't know," she replied honestly. "But I can promise that I'll think of something, Michael. You'll never be alone again."

"Tell me about the orphanage," Michael urged after several more quiet moments. "You n...never speak of it."

Allie shook her head, "There's nothing to speak of. We were in that horrid place for six years but then I got us out."