Chapter 8

Jack led you back to the living room to sit on the couch. He sat down first pulling you down onto his lap. He hugged you close played with your hair before sighing.

"I guess it is my turn to tell you about my life. I was born 1854 into a large family. We lived in a smaller house with little money. Our parents were the ones that taught us, we could not afford to go to school. I had five sisters and one brother. I cannot remember my real name so when I got here I came up with the name Jack. I was a .... um awkward child per say. I loved Halloween and to me it was an all year thing." He chuckled to himself. "I would wear odd clothes when we went to town and people of course would stare at me and whisper to one another. I was known as the town freak." He sighed again tightening his grip on you. You put your arms around his neck and placed you head on his shoulder.

"It's ok." You said smiling up at him. He looked at you a finally pulled up a smile again.

"But I had one person that loved me for me. My mother was the only one that understood my feelings. She loved Halloween as well but kept her thoughts to herself. She loved all her children but she hated my father and I couldn't blame her. Back then it wasn't odd for your parents to pick your significant other. My mother was wild and fun but after the marriage was locked up in a 'cage'. He would beat her if she ever spoke out of turn and would do the same to us though that wasn't that odd at that time either. My mother fell ill soon after I turned 18. Leaving me with my siblings and father. He hated me so. I could barely do anything to help outside with work and inside I only made a bigger mess. My brother was his pride and joy and I was his mistake. After he married all my sisters off and my brother left to work I was the only one left. We could be in the house for days together and all I would see was his shadow. One day I got tired of it. Perhaps I could go find a job or a wife for myself. After days of searching I found a job at a farm when I came back to tell my father he was gone. I looked everywhere up and down the town till someone said they found him leaving on a buggy to the city bags packed and everything. When I came home I didn't know what to do I had no one. I left the house heading into the woods when just like you I stumbled on to the doors. My mind filled with curiosity as I stepped into the Halloween door. I fell for what seemed like forever till I landed here." You pulled back looking up into his face.

"Oh Jack I'm sorry."

"For what my dear? That was years ago and here we are the rulers of the best town I will ever know." You smiled before tackling him on the couch.

"I think we need to lighten the mood." You whispered into his ear. His eyes widened as you began to tickle his sides. He laughed and pushed at your shoulders before flipping the position so that he was on top of you. You kick flailed your arms around screaming and laughing till you ran out of breath.

"Ok well I say we should get some rest." He pulled you up walked you down the hall. He pushed open a door revealing a large black bed enough to fit five people on.

"Wow it's huge." You said walking over and sitting on the edge. Jack followed you in.

"I'm glad you like it." He said smiling. And there it was that awkward silence that no one ever wants around but glad Jack broke it. "Well if you need anything I am will be in one of the rooms down the hall." You looked around seeing draws and trinkets before asking.

"Wait." Jack turned around to look at you.

"Is this your room?" He nodded looking off to the side. "Why?"

"Well it had the biggest bed and... I wanted you to be comfortable." He now stood in the door way awkwardly shuffling his feet. You thought well it can't be like this forever I mean you are supposed to get married. So you got up and walk to him and took his hand.

"Your right it is a large bed and I would hate to keep it all to myself. Do you think you could share it with me?" Jacks face turned a little pink before giving you slight nod.

"Yay!" You jumped pulling him over to the bed. You crawled in and blew out the candle Jack not far behind you. You lay in the bed together but you couldn't sleep a wink knowing he was right beside you. Turned one way but you didn't like having your back to him. You lay on your back but you just weren't comfy you turned to face him to he had his eyes closed facing you. You smiled and looked at his pale face. Just then a gust of wind came in chilling you to the bone. You looked over noticing the window was open. 'How did that get open?' You began to shiver and pulled the covers up to your face. You felt Jacks hands snake around your waist pulling you closer to him.

"Cold?" You nodded snuggling into his warm chest. He put his chin on top of your head and you both intertwined your legs.

"Thanks you." You whispered. He kissed the top of your head.

"Anything for my queen."