VIII: THE FATHER, THE SON, & THE HOLY BONES

"He will reckon with them; he hath undertaken to see that the debts due to him are paid. All their sins are written in his book; not one of them is forgotten, and every one must be paid." – Jonathan Edwards

" – Jonathan Edwards

Songs:

Outlast 2 Soundtrack/Music - Lynn Walks

Resident Evil 7 Soundtrack - 08 Kill Or Be Killed

A footstep woke me. That simple, gentle sound tore me out of my nightmare and brought me back to the warmth of my cabin and thick furs. The fire had burned down to embers. Dawn was turning the dark of night to grey beyond the windows.

Then I realized: I had been alone in the cabin. There should have been no footstep.

I kept my breathing steady, pretending to still be asleep, straining to listen. There was another step, and this time I was able to fully realize the delicacy with which it sounded: careful, sneaking. Whoever it was, they were above my head and to the left, near Witch Mother's bedroom. I could not imagine that Zibarath was one for sneaking – and though the memory of seeing him in my dream last night was still fresh and haunting, this new threat was gripping me. Who would dare enter the Witch's house?

There was a click and a creek: a door was opening. There was only one door I had closed, and it was Witch Mother's. There was another step . . . they were entering her bedroom-

I flew up, relying on surprise and my own rush of fear and anger to propel me, my command of "get down!" making my spine tingle and arms burn as power rushed in my voice and through my limbs. I entangled with someone larger than me: hard-chested, head a mess of dark hair, who smelled strongly of days without a shower and wood-fire smoke. They cried out – a deep voice – and I felt them grasping at me as we both tumbled down and I landed on top. My command had hit their chest and left them breathless, so I seized the opportunity and slammed my palm into them again, this time with a cry of "be still!" But as the last word slipped out of my mouth I realized who I was sitting astride, my legs spread over his chest.