Chapter 3: Impending Threat

They had just defeated Sebastian a few months ago, and then her mothers wedding, and Jace, and everything was perfect. Even Simon was learning and training to become a Shadowhunter, her equal. Although she was upset that he had to train in the newly-remodeled LA Institute. At least she knew the Shadowhunters there were good people. Everything could've stayed peaceful, for at least a year, but I guess that was just wishful thinking. Thinking she could settle down and someday marry Jace, and have a quiet, mundane life. But that will never happen. To much has happened for that to even be a possibility. They're all Shadowhunters, and this was their life. She enjoyed it a little.
"Clary, if there is an option, I don't want you to fight. I'll go." Jace offered.
Clary just looked up at him.
"No way." Was all she said.

"I just can't believe what's happening." Isabelle told them, while we were waiting in line to portal back to the New York Institute. Unlike before, we weren't the first ones to get there, so we had to wait a while. We had all decided to wait for the hall to clear out first before leaving, so we didn't have to push with the crowd.
"I know, it's like, no matter what happens, we'll always be in a battle. Except this time, it's all over the world. It's World War III for the mundanes and us," Clary commented.
"No matter what happens, I will try my absolute hardest to protect you." Jace promised her.
"That's really sweet by I'd rather be on the front lines fighting," Clary told him.
Jace looked at Alec for help.
"Hey, you picked her out, not me," was all Alec said to Jace, trying not to laugh.
"There's my fiery little redhead," Jace laughed.
"Hey, we've been through hell and back, literally, and survived. We can do this, guys." Clary tried her best to sound optimistic. Although she wouldn't admit it, she was a little nervous of going through another war. But it can't be as bad as Sebastian, right?

"All of the Institutes are gearing up. The Clave is sending more Shadowhunters here as backup. Their assuming that Orldkan is going to attack here next, as this is the only Institute left he hasn't terrorized. Oh, and they also said he going by the title: Orldkan, inhabitant of worlds." Isabelle explained to us, while we were walking to the training room.  
"Charming," Jace said.
"So, does this Orldkan shape-shift, or how does he disguise himself?" Clary asked Isabelle, since she had the information.
"He doesn't try to hide himself at all, only from the mundanes. He keeps to his true form." She said.
"And his true form is?" Clary wondered aloud to Isabelle.
"No one knows. We haven't seen him yet, no one has. He's been leaving bodies and messages, though. That's how we know what we're up against. Just hope you never have to see what he looks like yourself." Isabelle warned.