Release from Captivity

The day finally came. It was shining brightly, the amber sun beating down its warmth.

I was finally out of hospital.

A feeling of relief filled me as I walked wearily out of the hospital doors. At last, my life could return to normal!

...almost.

You see, I was told by the nurses to refrain from playing volleyball - or any sport of that matter - until they gave the clear since it might cause a strain on my bones. This meant that I couldn't play at the next tournament.

As I walked to school the next day, I was drowned in dread - how was I going to tell the team? How would they react? How would Kageyama react?

No, I shouldn't panic: they'll understand. I just have to be confident. We're a team after all.

But I couldn't build up the courage to go into the gym. I turned, defeated, and walked the other way. But...

"Oi, Hinata, where are you going?" an angry voice shouted. I spun round, quite startled. It was Kageyama.

"Oh, um, I'm...just a bit tired so I was going to pass today's practice session." My voice lacked conviction; Kageyama picked up on this.

His expression became cold, more so than usual. Upon noticing this, Sugawara jogged past him and came to me.

"H-Hinata, you said you wanted to talk to me in private?" At first these words confused me, but upon noticing that he was trying to cover me, I nodded and walked off with him, leaving behind a discontent Kageyama.

When we finally stopped, Sugawara looked at me with a gentle expression, quite the opposite of Kageyama's expression.

"How are you feeling, Hinata?"

My glance dropped to the ground slowly. "I think I'm okay. I still feel extremely exhausted - I was struggling so much to pay attention in class. Actually, I don't think I payed attention at all."

Sugawara smiled. "It's only natural, I suppose. You've gone through a lot of treatment and the emotional stress couldn't have helped you much." He paused and placed a hand on my shoulder before continuing. "But just remember that no matter what, we will all be here to support you and get you through this."

Holding back tears, I smiled and nodded my head.

"And just remember," he continued, "you can always come to me if anything happens. I know it is probably daunting, thinking about telling everyone else, but since I know about your condition, you can confide in me, okay? No need to hold back."

As if he had somehow cracked open a safe, tears started running down my face as I ran into his arms and bawled.

I lifted my head slightly. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw something move around the corner.

"S-Sugawara?" My hands started to shake.

"What is it? Are you feeling okay?"

"I saw someone...around the corner...did someone follow us?"

Sugawara's face became half stern. "Wait here, I'll go have a look." With that, Sugawara wandered off around the corner.
This gave me a moment to wipe away tears with my quivering hands.

"Hinata!" The angry voice returned.
Slowly, I turned to where the voice came from.

Kageyama? Was he here, too?

He ran up to me and grabbed me by the collar. "What's the big idea, huh? I know you're hiding something. What is it?"

So...he doesn't know? That's a relief.

"Ah, it's nothing!" I said, forcing a fake laugh out of my now frail body. Kageyama didn't look impressed.

He released me from his grip, but his body started to tremble from rage. "Oi, Hinata. I don't know what it is you and Sugawara hiding, but the longer you make us wait, the more agitated it's going to make the team. You know that, right?"

My gaze drifted down. He's right.  I need to do something or else everyone will be confused.

Sugawara came back round the corner. "K-Kageyama? What are you- "

"What is he hiding from me? From us?" I could see that his fingers itched, but he retrained from lashing out at me again.

Sugawara returned his hand on my shoulder and looked sternly at Kageyama.
"Kageyama, Hinata just got out of the hospital. We need to respect that he has a lot to take in. Pushing him will only make his recovery all the more difficult. He will tell us - in his own time. Just try to be wait a little longer, okay?"

Kageyama returned Sugawara's glance with a cold stare. "Sugawara, with all due respect, Hinata has to tell us what's going on. Now. I've been doing this patience thing for longer than I should. We...we're a team, right? Back then you told us that."

Ah. I remember. Kageyama and I used to fight, but we were told that, unless our differences were resolved, neither of us could join the team.

I stare up at Sugawara, a look of defeat taking control of me.

"S-Sugawara, Kageyama is right. I need to say something or else everyone will hate me."

Sugawara looked at me with a concerned glimmer in his eyes. "Hinata, don't say that, we are all here for you." His attention turned to Kageyama. "And everyone will wait until you feel comfortable enough to tell us what's going on."

No. I must do this. They must know.

I gently removed Sugawara's hand from my shoulder. His concern spured me to action, an action that somehow came from this weak, useless, incompetent body of mine.

"Kageyama, gather everyone inside the court. I'll be there in just a second...to tell you - no, to tell everyone - everything."