The Birds Are Singing

I poked my head round the door of the gymnasium with Sugawara by my side. Kageyama had walked in and approached Daichi, tapping his shoulder. He said something, then Daichi turned to the team.

"Everyone, gather round! Hinata is back!" he yelled.

Surprised, everyone stopped in their tracks. Nishinoya and Tanaka's faces both lit up as they ran towards the door to greet me. They tried to grab my wrists but noticed that one was already bruised, so instead they just bounced enthusiastically around me.

"Alright, you two," Sugawara said smiling. "I know you're excited to see Hinata again, but give him some space."

Nishinoya and Tanaka looked at each other slightly confused, then looked back at me and smiled. Sugawara then looked at me with a comforting look on his face, which helped to ease my nerves a little.

The team gathered in a cluster, waiting for me to enter. Sugawara walked with me and stood next to me as I faced them all. I hadn't seen all of them together like this since before I was put in the hospital.

I began to sweat nervously. The whole team was staring at me, desperate for an answer. Sugawara once again placed his hand on my shoulder. I looked up at him and he nodded at me reassuringly.

Looking back at the team, I took a deep breath, then spoke:

"I suppose I'll just get straight to the point." I began shaking a little, but I knew I had to persist. "I have leukemia."

Everyone became silent. The atmosphere became very tense.

Nishinoya looked at Tanaka, then back at me and spoke: "L-Leukemia? Isn't that a type of cancer?"

My whole body tightened, my eyes welling up. I began to shake a little more. For some reason, I couldn't find the strength to respond.

Sugawara stepped forward. "Yes, it is."

"I don't understand. I thought Hinata passed out because he had the flu. Are you sure?" Yamaguchi said, his voice quivering a little.

"Hinata was tested multiple times by a specialist. Thankfully, it's in its early stages, and he was being treated for it in the hospital."

"But if Hinata has leukemia, why isn't he in the hospital?" Tanaka said confused.

"Hinata is allowed to go home between sessions of chemotherapy. He was just in hospital for a little while to make sure there were no complications and to have a few tests run."

Kageyama looked at Sugawara with furrowed brows. "Seems like you know an awful lot about this."

"Wait, that's a good point. Why do you know about all of this?" Nishinoya said with a slight tone of aggression in his voice.

Sugawara closed his eyes and composed his thoughts. He then looked back up at the team. "I found out by accident."

Kageyama's face got intense. "Stop lying! He told you, didn't he?" He yelled.

I began to shake more. I just want this to stop. This is all my fault!

Sugawara looked at Kageyama, matching the anger in his face, yet maintaining a level of self-control. "I'm telling the truth. I happened to find out by accident."

I bowed my head suddenly. "I'm sorry! I never intended to keep this from you! I just...I..." I began crying, my body shivering more violently now.

Sugawara turned around and jogged up to me, placing his hands on my shoulders. "Hinata, this isn't- "

"We're sorry!"

When I looked up, most of the team had their heads bowed. Kageyama remained upright, looking at the team slightly surprised.

Nishinoya raised his head. "I didn't mean to come off as upset or angry. We've just been so agitated and worried about you. We know it must have been hard to have to go through all of this."

I looked at everyone for a moment, then wiped my tears away with the sleeve of my jacket. I then smiled and laughed heartily. Everyone looked at me confused.

"I don't get it. What's so funny?" Tanaka said.

"It's just..." I wiped a tear from my eye, trying to regain my composure. "I have been so concerned this whole time, worried about how you guys would react. I kept thinking about how you guys would think I was a failure, how I was bringing the team down, and..."

I clasped my shirt tightly, still chuckling a little. I then burst out into tears, covering my face with my hands. My legs suddenly gave way.

"Hinata! Are you okay?" Sugawara shouted, catching me and slowly helping me to the ground. He then knelt down behind me, his hands on my shoulders.

I felt so pathetic. I could feel my body getting weaker. I could feel the whole team staring at me. I could feel Kageyama's disappointment.

I heard footsteps coming towards me, but I was crying so much I couldn't see who it was. They knelt down front of me.

"Oi." I slowly looked up, though I knew who it was. Kageyama looked me in the eyes. He seemed to be angry, but there was a slight hint of guilt in his eyes.

"I'm sorry," he said, catching me off guard a little. "I still don't really get it, but I didn't know how serious your condition was and I acted out in frustration. I should have been more tactful."

He got on his knees and fell facedown in front of me. "I'm sorry."

I stared at Kageyama in silence. I was so shocked that the tears stopped falling. I couldn't hold myself back.

I burst out laughing.

Kageyama looked up at me, blushing a little. "W-Why are you laughing?"

I couldn't talk. My chest hurt because of how much I was laughing. The team was quiet for a moment. Nishinoya and Tanaka then started laughing, causing others to join in. Kageyama looked around nervously.

Sugawara tried to speak in between laughs. "I'm sorry, Kageyama! That was so out of character I couldn't believe my eyes!"

Kageyama's face became more red, clenching his teeth together. He then quickly got up and started shouting at the team who continued to laugh.

I pulled myself together, and looked at Sugawara. We smiled at one another. He then spoke softly to me.

"Looks like everything is okay," he said reassuringly. I beamed at him, a final tear rolling down my cheek.

I looked up at everyone. Their faces were lit up again. I smiled gently.

Everything was going to be okay from now on!