*Chapter 9 • Without him*

It amazes me how no matter what I say to offend or deepen an emotional cut, he listens without interruption.

That's why he is my best friend. He listens, he nods, and never judges the softly spoken words that come out of my mouth. It makes me feel human again, and the funny thing is, he isn't even human at all. If someone said I had to talk nonstop with one person for the rest of my life, it would be Optimus Prime. No human could ever compare to him.

"Mark beats me, calls me names, tells me that I'm a nobody who doesn't deserve to have a life." I press my face into my palms, attempting to hide the pain. "Just like my parents once did. I want out of my marriage."

Optimus nudges away my hands from my face with his slick, warm and comforting digit. Gently, he tilts my head up so my eyes can connect with his optics. Those beautiful, bright blue optics hold the most sincere emotion of than all. Tenderness. It is practically dripping off of him.

"Not anymore, (Y/n). I care most about you, more than myself. The life you once had? You left that behind when you ran that night." Optimus carefully nuzzles his helm against my head, almost like a cat would do.

When you get him away from the others, away from his responsibilities of leading a team, he is the biggest softy you could ever come across. He isn't afraid to show that he cares behind closed doors, the affection he had built up over time.

"We are your family now. Home is where your family is, and it is here with us. With me."

•••

Your fingers drum softly against Optimus' dashboard, eyes glued to the outside world behind the glass window. It was a peaceful quiet as Optimus' engine would purr and growl while driving you down the long Jasper, Nevada road.

Optimus decided enough was enough. He wasn't going to stand by and watch you get hurt any longer. It pained him to see the bruises that lingered over your perfectly flawless skin that felt so soft to the touch. After spending some time with you outside of the base, staring off into the distance while the sun shined down, he talked to Agent Fowler privately while you clung to Raf near the couch.

"I need your help, Agent Fowler. For (Y/n)'s sake," was his plea. Good thing is was heard loud and clear.

After giving little-to-no information about Mark, not mentioning the fact that you were being abused because that was your right to give up, Agent Fowler agreed he would do some research on the mysterious man. It came as a surprise to Fowler at just how much the Prime cared for you.

Optimus wanted a way out for you and it seemed he had found a way after many hours of pondering. He offered to take you back to your abandoned shelter to grab clothes and other necessities for living at the base, also taking onto consideration when Mark wouldn't be home, and you agreed. Optimus couldn't say he wasn't overjoyed.

You lean your head back onto the leather seat and tuck yourself into a little ball in the drivers seat, watching the steering wheel that would turn on its own. Optimus hadn't said a word during the whole trip, probably assessing over the whole ordeal.

"I'm going to file for a divorce." You blurt out, almost as if you didn't say it then, you were going to explode.

It felt right to say little things to Optimus. Keeping quiet around him was entirely impossible, seeing as whenever you got anywhere near him, all you wanted to hear was his voice and the way it spilled from his throat like melted chocolate. Talking to him was the only way you were going to hear it drip from his lips. By now, you had the giant mech figured out because you literally spent most of your time thinking about Optimus, your head filled to the brim of him. You acted like a love sick teen again yet you refused to admit that the feelings you were having was the start of something more than just friendship. Though, you had thought over the fact that maybe you wanted something more, but then your anxiety and what-ifs came crashing down. You gave up that idea long ago.