18. A Bookish Birthday

I'm back from camp! As promised, another fic. Thank you so much for all the support. It really means a lot to me.
    "Careful." A yank from Rowan was all that kept Aelin from knocking over an enormous potted plant.
     "Where are we going?" demanded the Queen of Terrasen.
     "I told you. To your birthday present," Rowan replied, upon which she elbowed him. 
     "Just tell me Buzzard."
     "I don't have to. We're here." Rowan pulled off the blindfold with a flourish. Well, he dropped it, but Aelin didn't notice. She had her hands clasped over her mouth and was barely breathing, as she stared at the enormous library in front of her. Rowan stepped closer to her. She turned and her eyes were lined with silver.
      "You built... all this?" she whispered. "You built this...for me?"
     He grinned shakily. "Well for you, and, if you want, for the entire court. Happy birthday Fireheart."
      She kissed him. The kiss was warm  and sweet and slow, and he could feel wetness on his face from her tears. She broke away and hugged him fiercely. "I didn't really believe you about the new training room, you know."
      "Uh huh." He pulled her by the hand. "I want to show you around."
       He'd tailored it specially for her. There were comfy chairs and sofas, and a breakfast nook stacked with everything required to make hot chocolate. "And," Rowan finished, "Each and every book is spelled to be fireproof."
     Aelin gasped and ran a hand delicately along the spines of the nearest shelf. "How-- how did you...?"
     Rowan grinned mischievously. "That is a secret. Zilla and Emeraon, they're the librarians by the way, swore me to secrecy."
      "Fine. Be that way. I want to go read. Let's find books."
       They wandered up and down the stacks, Aelin occasionally pulling a book off the shelves or exclaiming over ones she'd read already. Arms full of books she suddenly turned to Rowan. "Why aren't you getting ng books?"
      He swallowed. "I read a lot when I was younger. Before...everything. Then life was to hard to forget in a book."
     "I'm sorry." Her voice was quiet, and his next words surprised himself. "I might like to start reading again."
      Her mouth opened in surprise but she recovered. She scooped up her own stack. "This one's mine, but you might like this one, and oh! I saw one I thought to be distinctly you, and this one is quite good, and eww no you wouldn't like that one..."
     Aelin dragged him around the shelves, picking up books and loading them onto both of their piles. When she seemed satisfied they curled up together on a couch. As he leaned into his mate's warmth, and the only sound was that of pages flipping, Rowan thought he could live like this, forever.