Prologue

Your POV

Your POV

My head leaned against the outline of the airplane's window, a soft buzz ringing into my ears as I tried to catch some sleep. The problem was.. I just couldn't. No matter how hard I tried to close my eyes and go to sleep, I just couldn't. I sat up uncomfortably in my seat, adjusting my position as I skimmed through my music playlists on my phone.

A mellow ding interrupted my thoughts, and a male's voice came over the intercom throughout the airliner. "This is your captain speaking, thank you for boarding Hawaiian Airlines, a member of the Sky team. It is currently 9:49 A.M in Honolulu, Hawaii. Sunny with the temperature of 82 degrees fahrenheit. We'd like you to please take your seats as we are taking our descent to Honolulu International Airport. Thank you for flying with us, and we hope to be of service in the future." With that, I tucked my earbuds away, slipping my cellular device in my front pocket as I zipped up my belongings in my backpack.

After grabbing my luggage from the baggage claim, I took the usual route towards the same gate I always went to when arriving here in paradise, in which I can call my home now. I've been here in Hawaii countless times, visiting Aunt Carol whenever I could during the holidays.

Recently, my parents haven't been on good terms and they thought it would be best to leave me out of the drama, receiving permission from Aunt Carol to go live with her for a couple of months. I had a feeling it would be longer than that though.

A smile crept onto my lips as I heard a faint shout, "Y/N!" My head whipped around to face the source of the sound. Immediately, I dropped my bags on the cement floor as my Aunt ran up to me, I picked her up with the strength I had and twirled her around. I gently set her down, her hands traveling from my biceps to my cheeks. "Oh dear, you've grown a lot since I last saw you. How are you, sweetie? Welcome back to paradise." She said giddily, causing me to laugh as I picked up my bags, walking alongside her towards her red pick-up truck.

"I've been good, school's kept me busy." Before I arrived in Hawaii, I constantly reminded myself to finish applications to schools all across the island, and sure enough, I got accepted to all the top-notch private schools. The only thing I had now was to choose which one I wanted to go to. I tossed my bags in the back of the truck, and slammed the door shut. Auntie Carol slipped into the driver's seat as I had patiently waited in the usual passenger seat, watching as she drove out and towards the highway as we journeyed to her beach house on the east side.

"Well, I'm certain you'll enjoy what I fixed up for you, honey. This morning, I have to get going for work. They called in a sick puppy found on the other side of this rock, but I'll be sure to be back home at 7 or 8 tonight. You know where everything is." She told, giving me a pat on the thigh as she took an exit on the highway, changing lanes and eventually bringing me to my new home.

After a couple of hours of settling in, laying my clothes in drawers and setting up my computer on my desk. I noticed I was still slacked in ripped jeans and a long-sleeved shirt. As I chose a new set of clothes to change into, my mind went absent and all I could think about were my parents. Like any other family, you would've thought that perhaps you'd all talk about a problem together- like a family should. But I guess not. By the time I shrugged off my daze, I trudged up to a full body mirror, observing the navy blue crop top and a pair of high-waisted shorts that fitted my every curve. A two-piece bikini was underneath the soft garments- knowing that I'd eventually wander off to a salty breeze with crashing waves and a sunset.

Becoming familiar with the house again, I eventually took a bike from a rack in the garage, immediately setting out to see who knows what. Many people begun to appear as I got closer and closer to the more lively parts of my neighborhood, noticing that a mall was just a few blocks away from my house. I skidded to a stop to kick down the stand of my bike, strolling inside a local shop that was adorned with aesthetic products, like a bowl of seashells or hanging ornaments of plants and signs.

"Y/N!?" I heard, my eyes furrowing as I spun around on my heels to feel a sudden force against my body, being strangled into a friendly embrace. "Damn, you've gotten fit." I shrugged, and ran a hand through my hair.

"I've got nothing better to do these days." I stated simply before being patted on the back.

"Matt, where the hell did you-- Oh my god." I heard another voice, feeling another tight embrace.

"It's good to see you two again, Matt, Aaron." I nodded, being met with two pairs of light blue eyes. The two were twins, although Matt had more of a lighter blue iris, while Aaron had a greener-blue. Plus, Aaron was a bit taller, but not by much. They had become my friends during a month of playing in a soccer camp one summer.

"What are you doing here, yo? I thought you went back to Florida like, two months ago." Matt said, awaiting my response.

"Yeah, well y'know about my parents fighting and stuff? It's gotten worse lately so it looks like I'm temporarily living here now." Their eyes widened at the news and physically buzzed with excitement.

After a couple of hours of catching up, I decided it was a good idea to take a turn towards the beach. "Alright, well I'll see you two around." The two siblings both nodded, giving me a quick hug before going back to their errands. I quickly bought a water bottle, returning home to take one of my surfboards that laid itself against the wall of my Aunt's small shack, still polished from before I had left.

Making my way towards the beach, I saw only a couple of people out surfing and playing in the water. I was relieved because that meant I could paddle out for a peaceful session for myself without any disturbances or unwanted interferences. I grinned as I felt the warm water immediately consume most of my body, the impact of the waves becoming a bit harsher as I pushed myself further towards the bigger currents.

I felt the adrenaline pulse through my veins as I had caught every other wave that came my way, switching my weight on the board to control the direction of my board. The speed of which the waves had carried me felt like I was free, like I had nothing to lose- it was one of those moments that I actually missed being here, smelling the plumerias and feeling the waves press up against the bottom of my board. I let out a content sigh, purposely falling backwards into the water as the waves died down.

After hours of surfing, I made my way back to shore. My hand glided through my thick, dark brown tresses- struggling to comb it through as it was soaked from the water. I felt a sudden pain against the back of my head, noticing a volleyball roll slowly away from me. I turned around and heard a faint 'sorry' as I bent down to pick the ball up.

"No, no. It's okay," I said calmly, my eyes not having met the soul that accidentally pummeled a ball at my head. Standing straight up, I tossed the ball up in the air and caught it over and over again, chuckling a bit at myself before I went to return the ball to its owner. My breath hitched in the back of my throat, meeting a pair of hazel brown eyes. I felt my heart race in my chest, my hands slowly passing the ball back to the brunette in front of me. No words came from my mouth, but I think it was obvious I was taken aback by how stunning this beauty was.

"Thanks..." The gentle voice said, the woman faintly touching my wrist as she went to take back the volleyball. She stood right in front of me, her slender body fitting in a form-fitting bikini. My eyes tried to be subtle as I let them roam down her body, noticing her toned abdomen and her beautifully-tanned skin.

Wow.

"Anytime. I'm Y/N, by the way." I began, extending my hand out with a nervous smile across my face.

The brunette smiled in return, licking her lips subtly as she reached her own hand out to shake mine.

"Camila."

Oh, God.

//

This is an old story of mine that I had started on 5HFANFICTION, but I deleted my account on there and have decided to move it here. Time to start posting some work, and I figured this was the best way to start! Have a good day/night, lovelies.

- Em :)