Chapter 26

"Should we wake her now?"

"But she looks so cute sleeping."

"Why are you talking about me?" I asked, still half sleeping. Well, my eyes are still closed and my body feels so heavy but boy, they talk so much and so loudly.

"Wake up." One of them said. After a minute, I realized it as Aidan's. I open my eyes slowly to find both him and Spencer on either side of me.

"Why are you watching me sleep?" I ask.

"It's noon." Spencer said. "How much sleep do you need?"

"As much as I want." I close my eyes again, trying to fall back asleep.

"Was she always like this?" Aidan asked Spencer.

"Yup, pretty much."

I groan. "Ugh, fine. I'm up." I get into a seated position. "Do you have any food?"

"Last night you basically had dinner all to yourself and you still want food?" Aidan asked.

"Yes."

"You're going to eat up all our food supplies." He stated.

"We don't have supplies. We just go hunting."

"But sooner or later, the animals are going to disappear." Aidan countered.

"What? You think I'm going to end up eating all the animals in the forest?" I joked.

"In the winter, most animals will hibernate."

"Squirrels don't hibernate." Or at least, I think they don't.

"Quit fighting." Spencer said.

I get up on two feet and stretch. The ground is really uncomfortable, it hurts my back. "But actually, do you have any food?"

Spencer hands me a plate full of wild berries. "We had these for breakfast."

I turn to Aidan. "What? One day you're all 'we can't trust this guy' and then the next, you're have breakfast together? Make up your mind, kid."

"It's not like you can make up your mind about anything." He countered.

"Oh yes I can." Oh, no I can't.

"Quit lying to yourself, Lauren." Aidan said. "Or else, you'll get nowhere."

Can I punch this guy in the face right about now?

I grab the plate of berries and start munching them down. The blueberries taste kinda weird so I eat all the blackberries instead. Each berry was like a ray of sunshine in my mouth. They were all really juicy and sweet.

"Okay," I started as I pop another blackberry in my mouth. "What's the plan?"

"What plan?" Aidan asked.

I shake my head of disapprovement. "What are we supposed to do now?"

"Why are you asking us?" Spencer asked.

"Well you're the oldest." I point out. "And what were you doing the last... how long were you awake?"

"Three hours, maybe." Aidan answered.

"Okay... what were you doing those three hours?" I ask.

"Er... swimming. Hunting. Stuff like that." Spencer said.

"Shouldn't we make a plan?"

"About what?" Aidan asked.

"I don't know." I walk around. "What are we going to do out here? Where are we going to go? What will we do if the Institute comes back? Are we even going to get out of this forest?"