Chapter 20: A Tale of Five Families

The time difference between San Diego and New York City is three hours, but by the time we get off the plane at San Diego International Airport it feels like longer.

Mike doesn't have time for jet lag. The moment we appear at arrivals it's impossible not to spot him, jumping and waving, bouncing like a grasshopper, and then he runs towards us, almost the way I did when I saw Alex come through the first time. I just about have time to let go of my suitcase and stop walking before his frame is flung at me. Not heavy, of course, but enough to take me by surprise and send me staggering, laughing as he squeezes. "Welcome home!"

"Good to see you too, Moik," I chuckle. "Jesus, I was only gone a day!"

"Almost two days, really," he reasons, and then steps away from me and hugs Jaime instead.

Mom and Dad are far less virulent in their greetings and embrace us both with far more gentle arms, and then Mike wraps an arm around my shoulders as we head out of the airport.

"How was your trip, boys?" Mom asks, and we both scoff and groan, raising our eyes to the ceiling.

"Incredible," I say. "It was just...I don't have words."

"The musical blew us away," Jaime babbles excitedly. "It was just...phenomenal. Wow."

"So worth the trip," I agree. "And the city itself was beautiful. There was snow everywhere. Snow! When do we ever get snow down here?"

"Once in a blue moon," Dad nods.

"We did all the classic tourist things," Jaime continues. "Very typical. We went to Chinatown, Times Square, Central Park, the MET, Rockefeller Centre..."

"Sounds like you had quite a trip," Mom smiles as she leads us to the car. It's fairly chilly out - but considering we just came from New York, where it snowed both days and the temperature was far lower than here, I can't complain that much. "Did you take lots of pictures?"

"Of course!" I exclaim as Mike opens the trunk for us and we lift our bags in. "Jaime's are really aesthetic. Mine are tourist pictures."

Once in the car, Mike doesn't waste a second in grilling us about the trip, a train of never-ending questions emerging from his mouth as Mom navigates out of the airport and joins the interstate. Between us, Jaime and I leave no question open ended, filling in every detail we can; but really, everything that happened in New York can never be anyone else's memories. They're ours. It's private. Being there was a little ethereal and odd and not like reality at all, and that feeling, that glorious feeling, can only ever be ours.

In my heart, Jaime has settled into his own little compartment, and nobody else is getting in.

* * * * *

"When will your folks be here?"

"Any minute," Jaime sighs, yawning, and Mike sags.

"I'm actually going to miss you."

Jaime laughs. "For real?"

"Yeah. This was such an awesome Christmas, dude. Thank you for my Good Charlotte socks, I think they were the one item of merch I didn't have."

"You're welcome," he smiles, rearranging his limbs beneath him as he sits curled up on the sofa. Both of us are extremely jet lagged and battling to stay awake to stop our body clocks becoming totally fucked, which is why I'm now rapidly drinking my second cup of coffee as I sit on the window sill of the living room swinging my legs.

"I'm going to miss you too," I pipe up, smiling from behind my mug, and Jaime scoffs.

"I should freakin' well hope so."