Chapter 21: Things Much Better Left Alone

Me:

Hey baby x I read your letter. First of all I just want to say thank you for trusting me, and for letting me into your life. I'm so sorry all these things happened to you...I really can't imagine it, and it must have been nigh on unbearable to experience. I also want to tell you that you're so welcome in my family and a beautiful contribution - and no matter what, Sarah and Andrew will always be your parents now. I know you miss your real mom a painful amount; but I promise you, if there is some place out there and she's watching over you, she smiles every day. And so does your father. Thank you for telling me. I love you xxx

Jaime:

I was so nervous to write it but...I'm glad I did now. You're so welcome for it, I've wanted to tell you everything for ages but couldn't figure out how. I figured this was the best way because it was all clear and I wouldn't start crying. Thank you for understanding, I love you too xx

* * * * *

Back to work.

New Year comes and goes, and on my lunchbreak on my first Wednesday back, the same week Mike returns to school, I re-read the email that came in on Saturday from the new Principal, Mrs Kimberly.

From: e.kimberly18@gmail.com
Subject: re; Mike Fuentes

Dear Mr Fuentes,

Thank you for contacting me regarding your brother. I do hope the remainder of his time at Clairemont is enjoyable.

I feel I should inform you that this semester commencing, all classes of 14 students or less will be merged together for more effective teacher timetables. I understand this may place Mike in classes with Mr Green - I will inform the members of staff concerned and ensure they are aware of the issue.

Concerning Mike's geography classes; unfortunately, under new policy no student will be exempt from classes if they are physically able to attend. I will notify him that he will no longer be able to miss classes - however, I will see too it that Mr Green is kept away from him both physically and in any group projects carried out in this class.

Sincerely,

Elaine Kimberly, Principal

It makes me more angry every time I read it.

From Monday. Monday was all it took, and suddenly Mike, who had finally cheered up and reverted to his normal chirpy self after Christmas, reverted back into a state of melancholy I'd never seen before. He had Geography class first period - and according to Nick and Jordan, it wasn't pleasant.

And now he hates going into school the way he was starting to before Christmas. I must say; my wonderful holiday, my phenomenal trip to New York...reality has come crashing down around it and it's hard to believe that just over a week ago, I was unbelievably content and everything was perfectly fine and actually looking up. Just like that, it has totally dissolved into...into a mess.

Thankfully, Andy isn't working today - a small blessing, but big enough to give me a sense of relief as I return to my shift with Patrick. The cafe has been busy all day but is finally beginning to die down, and the queue remains mercifully short as I constantly check my watch, waiting for three thirty. Nick and Jordan and Mike will arrive, and as sad as Mike may be, he'll be happy around them, chirpy and upbeat, and they'll sit in their regular booth with their drinks and my day will be made. It needs making.

And sure enough, at three thirty, the group traipses in; but straight away I can see it's all wrong. Mike is walking slowly with a hanky pressed to his head, and both Nick and Jordan have their arms around his waist, one of them either side, as they walk over to the counter.