Chapter 3

Previously ...

She held her small trembling hands out before her. "No! I'm not going. You don't need me any longer!!! Your free." He never said a word, just swept her up in his arms, swung around and waded through the water until he could hop inside. Lowering her down as two men started to row. It was then she jumped up to her feet with the intention of jumping. Didn't matter that she couldn't swim. "She's gonna turn us over!" Billy exclaimed as the small boat rocked. Billy, Charles and one other man inside, along with her.

Charles grabbed her and yanked her towards him before plopping her down in his lap. Wrapping her in his strong arms and closing her in. " I've got her. Row dammit!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Charles hold tightened as the little doctor struggled within his embrace. He didn't think she was even conscious of what she was doing. Billy and the other crew member had the small skiff treading water quickly so that they were drawing close r to la vendetta, his latest prize, the Spanish ship he had taken and claimed for his own. Suddenly canons were firing in their direction, this time coming from the fort.

"Fuck!" he called out, for it was close enough to threaten to tip them over, making the waters choppy which encouraged Billy to row even faster. While the girl jumped nearly out of her skin, bringing a curse from his lips, as the top of her head banged into his jaw, causing him to nearly bite his tongue off.

She froze into place terrified, her entire body tense, then she went into a struggle once more. Charles held her so tightly that he stopped all of her movements and she had little wiggle room. Leaning down he whispered into her ear, still trying to calm her. "Shhh, you are safe." That seemed to get through to her, for her she didn't attempt to fight his hold again, no matter how feeble an attempt it had been.

"Safe?" She asked softly, before continuing. "Is he dead?" Charles thought of lying, but any that knew him, knew he hated to lie and hated even more when others lied to him. So, after a long sigh he answered her truthfully. "Yes," Instead of comforting her, it upset her once again, though she didn't struggle. "No no no, he can't be. I killed him? Are you sure?"

He really didn't want to answer her but he gave a nod, "yes." At least she seemed rational enough to comprehend what he was saying. Billy's confusion was obvious as he cast a glance to Charles and the girl. "She killed someone?' The girl seemed much to fragile to do something like that. "Yes." He'd hoped that Billy would drop the matter but he appeared more confused than ever. "Who, why?"

Clearly he wasn't going to let this one go and he wanted Billy focused on the task at hand, rather than the who and why of it all. "A guard who was trying to sneak up on me." Billies eyes nearly bugged out of his head. "She saved you?" Charles just groaned. That was the last thing he needed or wanted. For it to get around than Charles Vane had not only been rescued by this little girl, but she'd killed for him as well. No matter how upset she was about it. It would surely put a dent in his reputation. His gaze turned hard as his narrowed gaze turned on Billy. .

"Speak of it again, and you won't live long enough to retell it."

Billy didn't have time to give an answer for they'd finally reached their destination, that of La Vendetta, The Revenge. Though Captain Vane was the last man he wanted to tangle with, so he didn't have to worry about him telling this story, and honestly he didn't think any would believe it. It was hard for him to accept land he was hearing it from the source. He certainly saw this woman, whoever she was, with new eyes.

He had little time to think on the matter, for now one blast after another was coming from the fort, while La Vendetta retaliated with their own. The other skiff arrived a few seconds later bumping into the side of the ship and the men were in the process of grabbing onto the rope ladder. that had been thrown over, and started their climb upwards.