Part II (continued) - Into the Sun

The Disposal Project had been going on for centuries. Dragging barges out into deep space, decelerating to break solar orbit and redirecting the barge on a course that would take it in a deteriorating orbit until it got close enough to the sun to burn up. Eventually, the ashes would be reduced to their base elements and add their mass to the stars infinite stock of fuel.

Simple. In fact, the program was elegant in it's simplicity. For the first time in history, the planet's enormous volume of waste material was not a burden on the environment. There were those who contended that Terriana's mass was being reduced and that the lack of recycling was permanently reducing the planet's resources. But then, depleted resources had been predicted for centuries, at every technological stage someone was predicting catastrophe. Armageddon never came. Terriana (with science's help) found ways to provide for her people. This was no different.

There were already mining operations on other planets. Depleted supplies would be replaced. Case closed. Critics of the Project were generally ignored these days. So much so that, sitting in the pilot's seat, Amanda never even thought about them and their various theories. This was a routine flight. Sail out to the dump orbit. Drag the barge down to terminal velocity. Set the barge's course and head for home.

It had been done a million times. Hell, she'd done it herself a thousand times. But then she had no idea what she was towing. As far as she knew it was just another load of refuse, ready to burn. Had she known more, she might have had second thoughts, she might have aborted the mission, she might have done something that could have had a different out-come. And that was exactly why she had been kept in the dark. At home things were different, however.

"Admiral, if there is nothing to be concerned about, why is it the facts have been kept from the media?"

Someone had gotten wind of this earlier today and as the reports spread, IGS had decided that a little rumor control was in order.

"Gentlemen, Ladies, I assure you that this is strictly routine. There is nothing out of the ordinary here. There is absolutely nothing to worry about." The Admiral knew that this had to be stopped quickly or else the whole project could be jeopardized.

"We've been dumping refuse this way for hundreds of years now with no discernable effects. There's no reason for concern over this particular load. The rumors you are reacting to were conceived simply to create the kind of confusion and media hype you're seeing now."

"But if there is even a chance that they're right, shouldn't we abort the mission now? This could be disastrous."

"There simply is no reason to believe these people. You have to understand that this was researched thoroughly before the project was begun. This type of scare tactic has been used every time IGS made a new breakthrough. There are anti-technology groups out there who's major source of income is from deluded civilians who, through the best of intentions, support these groups with their donations. Recycling advocates have been after us for decades to stop the dump runs. It's not that they actually believe any harm will be done. It's just that they can't profit from them. There simply are people who's financial interests lie in other programs and they will stop at nothing to destroy this project in favor of their own. IGS, simply put, will do nothing to jeopardize Terriana. Thank you."

With that he simply shut off the mic and walked out of the conference room. The press conference was apparently over. In quietly muttered confusion, the various reporters left the hall and went about making their reports.

The wars had been over for nearly forty years now. Reason had prevailed, but at a terrible cost. The population had been halved. Nearly six billion casualties. Mostly civilian. Now that defensive and offensive postures had been dropped it was time for IGS to take up it's former occupation, garbage haulers.