January 3, 2017

It was my first day of school. For the others, it was the first day of school after winter break. I stood in front of the school and took a deep breath. My mom shouted, "Love you, sweetie!" I groaned quietly. I turned around and signaled her to keep it down. It was middle school, not Kindergarten. I ditched the bow this morning. I thought it looked slightly childish. Was it even allowed? Those were my thoughts this morning. But now? Boys and girls were wearing dark and bright sweaters and jeans. Few were wearing winter coats and gloves. Or boots. How did they not feel cold? I, however, had worn a winter coat but I looked amazing in it. It was a black London Fog coat and black boots. I looked absolutely chic. I was also wearing MY UNIFORM, which most people were not wearing.

I took a deep breath and walked into the school. Oh. My. God. The beauty, the looks, the attractiveness. I'm not even talking about the school's scenery. I already saw that when I came for admission. I was seeing a heavenly person. I started to turn red when I saw him so I immediately looked down. He was far away, near the cafeteria, he and his two friends glanced at me. I don't usually react like this to a cute guy. I knew him. This was yours truly, Matthew Selby. Sigh. How could anyone not fall in love with the perfectly light brown hair paired with his pale skin and he was the perfect height and weight. He wore a black puff jacket and black jeans and he was...good-looking. Very, very, good-looking.

I got over myself and walked into the office, finding myself in front of Mr. Moncion. I was asked to follow him, so we used the elevator and went to the second floor to his counselor office. He handed me my schedule. "You have Ms. Dorvelus for ELA Core first period everyday. You'll probably have a hard time getting to your first classroom. I'll walk you there." So away I went. Let's just say it was insanely awkward. No, it wasn't like in Mean Girls. Cady, the new girl, was talked to by almost all the students. This - was something else. Nobody talked to me. Ms. Dorvelus hurried closer to me and smiled quickly. She hurriedly told me, "We're reading the book Monster." She handed me a copy. "You can go sit over...right there." She pointed to a desk. It was the only one left. There was a boy in front of me. His name was said to be Delwar, Delwar Alam. He was Bengali and he had a strange haircut. It was a little odd, to be honest. 

"Hey, can I borrow a pencil?", he asked. Happily, I handed him a nice, perfectly sharpened pencil with a brand new eraser on top. He didn't show it, but he was obviously eager to use it. I know how it feels to lose dozens of pencils in the middle of the year and getting such a marvellous pencil at this time would be a miracle. "Thanks", he gratified.

I was a little confused by everything that was going on. The cover on Monster was also confusing, I just didn't get why. In a couple minutes, I had quickly learned the importance of the cover and it's meaning beneath. Huh. Maybe I shouldn't have judged a book by its cover.

After a while, the bell rang. I looked around. It was an awfully vast school. I was completely clueless . And that was obvious, I had already zipped open my backpack and took out my schedule, I had Ms. Mabulay for Math Core next, for second period and I looked around like a little lost puppy. 

Two girls, one was very tall and had coral pink ombre hair along with her natural black hair. She was Jamaican. She introduced herself as Sonali Teji. Another girl wore a cat sweater, patterned tights and a khaki skirt, along with a pink hijab. She was Bengali. She introduced herself as Nazia Nln. "Ya need help?", they asked. I nodded. I was too afraid. Even saying yes sounded stupid to me. My voice sounded stupid to me. I simply nodded. They walked me to Ms. Mabulay's class and I muttered a quiet thank you. 

Lunch was horrible. I slightly lost my way around until I remembered it was on the first floor. Lunch is always the worst. Always. I looked around. It was a jungle. Rowdy kids jumping, messes and tables flooded with seventh graders. I sat down at a table, with some kids near me. I scanned the lunchroom to find anyone from my old grades. I found the twins Arianna and Brianna and my old friend Lizet together on a table with a couple of girls. I would sneak a glance at them while eating and I felt so depressed. I felt like those stereotypical new girls. Well, they are true. 

Out of the blue, something hit me on my head. It was the Monster book from Core English. I was so frustrated anyways, and so depressed and empty, I, started to cry. Tears dribbled down my cheeks and I bit my lip just trying to hold it in. I heard a few girls giggle and it quiet down. "A- are you crying?", someone asked. I shook my head but I couldn't help it anymore. I walked out of the cafeteria very slowly and casually and ran across the hallways to the nearest bathroom. I sat on a toilet in one of the stalls and silently wept to myself. That was definitely the low-point of my first day at school. Even my first days in elementary school wasn't that bad, this was horrible. Middle school really is cruel.