Chapter 3

At the end of the day, I picked up my bag and walked to the front of the classroom. The day had been another normal one and I was grateful for it. There was no trouble, I got a good grade on a test, Kenna and I had a blast at lunch and made plans, and Darian was seen running around while escaping from Miranda Followers like they were playing tag as usual. Sure, it was a bit peculiar, but it didn't affect me any so it was another successful mark in my book.

     As we were leaving school, Darian was on the lookout again with his sharp eyes glaring st the surroundings. If he was able to exude blood-thirst, I would have felt it for sure with how fed up he was about being chased around and gossiped about. It had started at the beginning of the year when Miranda and company transferred from their former high school after being expelled from some rumored serious charges.

    She wasn't a minor anymore, having turned eighteen a while ago, so she was already on the downhill track to some jail time. Her father was a police officer with high up friends, sadly, so she got away unscathed with only community service hours that she'd never done.

     When she first came here, no one noticed her. She was just a messed up brat that was too old to be crying like a baby about having to attend school and do what she didn't want to. However, school suddenly became interesting as she bought her way into places and established herself with the wrong crowd, becoming fairly popular within the year. The plague had spread.

     Her strange kingdom had nothing to do with my life, until she noticed Darian. She tried to get close to him, and failed.

     Then she saw me being friendly with him and assumed I was his girlfriend.

     And that's when it all went downhill.

     But that's another story.

    She actually still believes I'm a girlfriend and doesn't trust me when I say I'm his sister, even after over half a year of encounters. We look so alike we could be twins if there weren't a four year difference and it was obvious we were related. She's just that dumb.

    One time, when had called me out for another round of insults that I had actually exasperatingly attended, I asked her why:

    "It's obvious when you look at him. Those eyes aren't for just any sister," Follower One, Hannah Killiane had started while attempting to coolly pull a cigarette from her mouth.

     A bratty voice rang out, "That's right! It doesn't matter how much you deny it, you look more like lovers than siblings!" The thing in the shape of a crudely put together girl's taunts didn't even reach my ears. Once I blocked something out, I never heard it. Thank you, Felix, for helping me to cultivate that skill.

    I answered Hannah with a highly disgusted and irritated look as my jaw dropped, "That's a crime. A very bad one in this state. Do you even...know what type of thing you are insinuating?" I didn't give her a chance to answer, knowing she would probably never come up with it herself. A puzzled look crossed Follower B's face as she leaned against the paper dispenser. "Wait, no you don't, you don't have the brain capacity for it. Forget so ever said that."

     Some random sophomore girl that was trying to be cool started choking on gum. Gum, of all things. Well, that one of the reasons I didn't chew it.

     "We-Well then why does he have that...?" Miranda inquired with a dull look in her eyes. It sharpened all of a sudden, but after turning something over in her head, the look dulled because she couldn't make sense of it and was too lazy to, all of a sudden. And I thought I could convince her to finally leave me alone, damn it.

     I had no idea what she was talking about anyways, but it didn't matter to me.

     Follower C, not choking on gum anymore but putting on a very disgusting act of trying to breathe, suddenly turned and yelled at me again. It was laced with some nonsensical curses at me, but since they didn't make sense I'll just leave them out...