Chapter XIII

Chapter XIII

As I packed up my few belongings from my room in Edoras, I thought about the battle to come. As it was daytime, the stars could not tell me much, but there seemed to be a bump in the road to Helm's Deep. Speaking simply, Helm's Deep was not that far from Edoras, but with the entire population, plus all the supplies we could carry, it was going to be a fairly long walk. With so many people noticeable dotting the plains and hills of Rohan, there was bound to be something to stop us going to Helm's Deep.

A knock on the door disturbed me from latching my bag, and I dropped it. "Come in," I said. "It's open." I picked the bag up again and shut it firmly, wrapping a weatherproof black cloak around me instead of a red one.

Mira stepped through the doorway and closed it behind her. "There's something I should talk to you about," she said. "I need your advice."

I looked at her amusedly. "And what might that be?"

"Aragorn - I mean, Eowyn - she's very taken with him."

"Is this a problem?" I set my bag down and sat on the bed, patting the spot beside me.

Mira plopped down on the bed. "No, I just think that he should focus -"

"Aragorn's life has been full of hardship. He's been focusing far too long on the safety of himself and those around him. Don't you think he should get the chance to live a little? What with the war and such, now's the time for taking chances," I pointed out.

"You know there's going to be a battle soon enough, and if he's distracted by someone like Eowyn..."

"He know how to separate his emotions, and you know this," I cut in.

Mira inhaled sharply. "Ore - Elenathrian - I know you know what I'm getting at here."

"I do," I said. "But I'm not sure if you do. Do you want him to not be with Eowyn?"

A silence followed, and Mira said, "I don't know."

"Do you want him to be happy?"

"Of course," she answered immediately.

"Do you want him to be happy with Eowyn?"

Mira looked at me, sensing that I wasn't finished.

"Or with you?"
-
I had to hunt to find Eowyn, but I eventually found her with Aragorn in the main hall. I let them speak to each other as I approached, but when Eowyn saw me coming, she started walking towards me. "I have to talk to you," she said.

"I'll be in the stables," Aragorn said, and departed.

"Impressed by what you see?" I asked her with a smile.

She smiled slightly. "He makes me feel happy."

"A better experience than Grima, certainly."

Eowyn smiled at me, but she seemed a little distraught at the mention of Grima. "Certainly," she said. "I actually wanted to talk to you about Aragorn's friend - the woman, Mireclya?"

"I see."

"Are they...?"

"Eowyn, we're not children, you can talk to Aragorn about it, or talk to Mira," I said with a small smile, and she knew I was teasing.

"I just don't want to be too forward with Aragorn if I'm hurting Mireclya," Eowyn said lightly, but I could tell it was a big deal to her.

"I don't want to meddle in things like this, Eowyn," I responded. "As your friend, I cannot tell you what to do with your life. You must follow your heart."