Twenty Four- Live

Luke

I wake up with a toothache in the back of my mouth. It's not unbearable but not pleasant either. Moaning, I roll over and shut off my alarm clock. I force myself out of bed and into the shower. I wash quickly, wrap a towel around my waist, and get out. I tame my wet hair and start brushing my teeth. Pain shoots through my jaw when I hit my back tooth and I groan. I force myself to brush that tooth and then move onto my other teeth. I finish my morning routine by slipping on a pair of dark blue scrubs, along with my watch, and trotting downstairs with my bag. I shove a few papers from my desk into my bag that I need for the day and set it by the kitchen table.

I go back upstairs and to Evangeline's room. She lays on her bed sleeping peacefully with Nugget and Ellie. She's adorable in every way possible. The way her glasses frame her small face and make her big eyes pop could bring a boy her age to his knees. Soft snores escape her lips as she sleeps. She has the covers pulled up to her chin with them grasp tightly in her fingers. Nugget pops his head up when I enter the room and his tail swooshes back and forth across the comforter.

I walk to her bed and sit on the edge. She doesn't stir despite the movement. I sigh from having to wake her up from her slumber. I figured it's more pleasant to wake up to someone who cares rather than a loud, obnoxious alarm clock.

I shake her shoulder lightly and she finally begins to wake up. Her eyes flutter open to show her big blue, sleepy eyes that have flecks of green and gold in them.
"Good morning." I say to her with a smile.
She moans and closes her eyes to go back to sleep again.
"Hey, open those pretty eyes." I tell her
Her lips curl slightly into a smile and she cracks open her eyes again.
"There we go." I say and slide her glasses onto her face.
"Where's my morning hug?" I ask. She smiles more and opens her arms. I lean down and hug her, taking in the sweet scent of the lavender scented laundry detergent.
"Dad, I want to snuggle." She says into my shirt you heart doesn't let me say no, as I want to give her all the affection she grew up without. I never expected that she would call me it so quickly. It grew on me in no time, and I accepted the name. Even though I'm not her biological father, I'm probably the only father figure she even remembers.

"You have to get up. We have school today." I tell her
"Please, just for a little while." She begs.
I sigh and grin "Five minutes, then you have to get up." I tell her. Her smile brightens when I flop down next to her. She scoots over to my side and lays her head on my chest. I wrap an arm around her and pull her into a soft hug. Her eyes drift open and closed throughout the minutes, and she laughs when I skim my fingers across her sides to tickle her in order to keep her from falling back asleep.

I check my watch and see that five minutes has gone by already. I would be lying if I said I didn't want to keep laying here. I would cuddle with her all day if she wanted too, just to keep her happy. It's comfortable too.

"We have to get up." I tell her. She frowns and pushes her face into the crack between my body and my arm.
"Why can't we just lay here?" She ask
"Come on, love bug." I say and poke her cheek. She snickers and looks at me. I tap her nose with a grin and sit up. She stays laid down and I grab her hands. I pull her up but she goes limp in my arms. I chuckle at her desperateness to stay in bed and throw her over my shoulder. She squeals when I do so and begin to bounce and spin around. She laughs her cute little laugh as she bobs up and down on my shoulder.
"You have to wake up!" I laugh
"I'm up, I'm up!" She squeals, making me laugh more.
I bend over and let her off my shoulder and ruffle her hair when I stand back up.
"Get ready and come downstairs when you are done. I'll have a bowl of strawberries waiting for you at the table." I say. Her face lights up and she smiles her beautiful, happy, bright smile.
I place a light kiss on her forehead and go downstairs. I hear the water running upstairs, meaning she is in the shower. I start on breakfast which is sausage, egg, and cheese rolled up in croissant. I cook the sausage and eggs first. Then, I lay the cheese and food onto the uncooked dough and pop them into the oven. I wash the dishes in the sink so I don't have to do it later. I feed Nugget and he lays down in front of his food bowl to eat.