Thirty Nine- Cuddle muffins

Luke

"I need to check you out too." I tell Grayson who grumbles an okay. He isn't too keen on letting me do his physicals because he knows that I know he needs vaccines. Grayson also isn't a very big fan of needles.
I call back Sophie who comes with a smile.

She straightens out her skirt and then hops onto the table. I grab a pair of gloves but notice she looks nervous. Really nervous.

"So Sophie, had anything been bothering you?" I ask scrolling through her file on my computer.
"No." She says fiddling with her nail.
"Good, then this should be easy, right?" I ask
"Right." She says letting out a shaky breath
"When is the last time you went to a doctor?" I ask looking at her file
"A-A while." She mumbles sheepishly
"I kind of figured that out already." I say sarcastically which makes her blush.
"Three years is quite a long time. That's three yearly checkups and two vaccines you have missed." I say. Her face becomes pale and she won't look me in the eye
"Everything alright?" I ask closing my laptop
"Yeah." She says worriedly "I was just hoping that you wouldn't notice." She says
"The vaccines or the time period?" I ask jokingly
"Both." She chuckles lightly
"Any reason why you haven't been?" I ask
"Needles aren't really my thing." She whispers
"Needles are really anyone's thing." I tease and roll closer to her. She shifts back uncomfortably and looks to her knees. I lift her head up gently by pushing her chin up with my thumb and index finger.
"I'm not going to hurt you." I say sympathetically
"Are you scared of me?" I ask
"No, just needles." She whispers. My heart lifts when she says she isn't afraid of me. It would kill me to know that she is afraid of me.

Looking into her anxious eyes, I get up from my stool and climb onto the bed with her. She looks at me confusedly and I give her a small smile.

"What are you doing?" She ask
"You're scared, so I figured I could give you time to either A: Calm down or B: Decide you aren't going to go through with the physical." I say swinging my legs back and forth under the table.
"I'm really hoping you choose option A because if we don't do the physical then I'm most likely going to get a very angry phone call from your principal asking why I didn't give you a physical." I say trying to convince her.
"And we wouldn't want that now would we?" I push
"No." She giggles probably imagining me being chewed out by her boss.
"I'll tell you what." I say and jump down from the bed "I have to give Grayson a physical too, so why don't we get him to go first and I can show you what I'm going to do." I suggest
She gives me a small smile and slides off the bed. She sits in the chair in the corner of the room to watch.

I go to the room next to mine which Grayson is in spinning on his stool. I knock hard on the door to get his attention.

"Change of plans, you're up first." I say popping my head in the doorway. He huffs and stands from his chair, taking a minute to get rid of his dizziness.
"Hey, Sophie is scared. Can we please do this without fighting?" I beg him. He shoots me a glare and rolls his eyes.
"Fine, but only because you like Sophie." He says
"I don't like her." I protest but he holds up a hand to stop me.
"I thought we weren't going to fight." He says twisting my words on me.
"You jack ass." I say sarcastically as he passes me to go to the examination room.

I follow him back to the room that Sophie is in and out on a new pair of gloves after washing my hands. Grayson gets on the table and I pull up his file this time. Grayson is in good health like Sophie, only he is more up to date with his medical history. Sophie needs two shots while Grayson only needs one.

"Anything bothering you lately?" I ask
"Nope." He says popping the p for dramatic affect

I unwrap my stethoscope from around my neck and place it on his chest. I go through the normal routine of a physical as Sophie watches. This is the most Grayson has ever complied to this before. Sophie gets a nervous and ashamed look on her face when I tell Grayson to get on the scale. She keeps glancing from her stomach to the scale after that. I leave them to go get his vaccine and they begin to talk.