Act I: Scene i

Disclaimer: I know very little information regarding the actual process of adoption...

His hand never left hers as they walked up to the building. It was a step they had been meaning to take for a while now, and many emotions rushed through them as their recollection of thoughts, arguments, and dreams came back to them.

It had been Kay's idea. Even as much as they both insisted that it was a good idea, the ownership belonged to Mrs. Petty. The idea had come to her through many early nights of loneliness and boredom as she awaited Tom's arrival from yet another show. It was part of Tom's career to spend many nights away from home to play in many local venues, but the usualness of the situation did not make it any easier on his wife. She loved him dearly, and he her. She respected his job and absolutely adored his music, even if music was the one thing keeping them apart. There was certainly at least one good thing to come from Tom's success as a musician: it brought money into the house. And God knows that was what made the world go round. It was a thing they hated to admit was true, but true it was.

Tom had been against the idea at first, but slowly, Kay had convinced him. He had been rather thoughtful that a child would be a lot for her to handle on her own. Kay had told him she would be just fine and a child would be just the thing she needed to cure her loneliness. Tom had given her another option that the two could always have their own child, but Kay had disagreed. She was still fairly young at twenty-three, and pregnancy was yet another big step neither of them were ready for. So, in a way, it was certainly ironic that their plans were to adopt a child considering that was what would make the Pettys parents without sex, which was considered a luxury neither of them wanted at the moment. All that would do was create yet another reason why the nights Tom spent in the studio were lonely. Nevertheless, Kay respected Tom's profession and it was certainly a thrill to hear the finished albums. She cherished those times, as did Tom, when she realized exactly how lucky she was to have married a man she respected and adored.

Tom paused at the front steps. He met eyes with her and he asked, "Are you sure you want to do this?"

Kay almost laughed. "Of course." A second thought hit her. "Don't you?"

Tom smiled at her. "Yeah. It's certainly going to be something to come home to you and another lovable person."

She smiled back at him. "Oh, Tom, that's so sweet."

His smile lingered on as he held open the door for her, and he walked in behind.

The clerk could see the nervousness but also excitement in her wide eyes and his everlasting smile. The clerk straightened her already straight posture and asked for them to introduce themselves.

"Tom and Kay Petty."

The clerk nodded. "Looking for your first foster child...Have you already decided...?"

Kay's eyebrows rose a little. "Decided what?"

"How many children you would like to adopt."

Kay exchanged a look with Tom, who said, "We agreed on one, but that could always change, naturally."

The clerk smiled at them. "Of course, it can. Excuse me a moment while I get the two of you situated with a pamphlet."

"Alright," Kay replied, a bit uncertain.

In the opposite manner, Tom nodded confidentially, and the clerk rushed back to a room down the hall.

Tom and Kay sat down, and almost immediately Tom confronted her. "I know this is going to be different and all, and you're sure, aren't you?"