Act II: Scene iv

A few months went by, and the boys had finished all their work for the school year. The summer holidays had begun. Naturally, of course, the boys were ecstatic. Kay, who was still very much touched when she was called 'Mum,' had some excitement, but she felt a variety of other emotions, too. Tom and the band had released their record at last and were following it up with a tour. Kay did enjoy seeing Tom on stage in the early days, and she knew it was selfish that she was going to miss him, but it was only a natural feeling to do so. She loved him - that was no surprise, but it did not make Tom's leaving any easier. Still, he always came back home. She could not see why he would not; and, of course, she could always catch a show when he played in L.A. and nearby. She knew that other people loved his music, and she simply loved that, as cheesy as she found it to be. His music reached out to many people, and she had at first been amazed by the rapid success, but she had not been surprised. Tom deserved this: he was her rock-n-roll star, born to be one.

"It's only fifteen-some shows. It is not even twenty," Tom was telling her.

"I know, I know," she said. Kay bit her lip. It would not make it any easier to see him leave, but he would indeed return, of course, soon enough.

"I mean, I could ask for more shows if you really want that."

"Tom!"

"Only joking, honey, it's just a joke." He smiled.

She shook her head in answer, but he was certain he could see a smile forming on her lips.

"I'll be home soon. You can close your eyes, open them again, and I'll be back."

She did just that, and opened her eyes to see. She looked at him.

He smiled. "I'm still joking, honey." He kissed her.

"I know, babe." She smiled. "I think the boys are getting impatient..." She nodded in their direction, where they were lingering around the baggage area.

Tom laughed and pointed. Kay shook her head. John had picked up a stranger's luggage and had wheeled it over to where his parents stood.

"No, John, put that back, please," Kay told him, but she still had a hint of a smile on her face.

"But it's mine." John stuck out his lower lip.

Kay knelt down to look at the luggage tag. She ran her hands over the suitcase, appearing to observe it but she was really trying to see if Tom was holding in laughter any better than she was. "Hmm...I don't see your name anywhere."

John looked. "No, no, no, right here. My name is Robert! Robert...Smith!"

"Excuse me, ma'am, but your boy has my suitcase." A tall bald man was looking at Kay and John.

"Alright, yes, but it seems we have a case of mistaken identity..." She looked at John then back at Robert Smith. She gently lifted John's hand from the suitcase handle.

Robert Smith looked at her and nodded. "Thank you." He turned to John and smiled. "I don't believe your name is Robert Smith, now, is it?"

Tom chuckled. "You never know - it does seem to be a very common name."

Robert Smith took his suitcase. "Well, thanks." He nodded then walked away.

"That Robert Smith fellow is rather nosy," John said.

Tom glanced at Kay. She could see he was smirking.

"Oh, you're no better than the boys!" Kay said, laughing. She kissed his cheek. "God, I'm gonna miss you."

"Oh, believe me, baby, you'll see me soon enough." He winked and kissed her. "I love you."

"Love you, too."

Tom hugged all the boys and hugged Kay again. Then, he headed towards the terminal.

Kay lingered for a while longer. She watched as Tom walked through the terminal, flashed his I.D., and vanished from sight.

"Come along, boys." Ringo, John, Paul and George followed her out of the airport. It would indeed be a few shows, but to Kay, it would feel like forever. She was certainly going to miss him, even if his absence was only temporary. As far as she knew, it might as well have been permanent.