Chapter 17- Zelda's POV

I stared at the lilies on the table. 

What am I doing? I should be studying for a test here. 

But I'm not.

I'm staring at the lilies on the table, the ones that Link brought me. 

He said he's sorry. I want to go back to him, but at the same time I feel like if I do, I'd just be shallow. I'm so confused. I wish I wasn't. 

I sighed and stood up. I think I need some fresh air. I slipped into a jacket and headed out the door.

*** 

"Princess Zelda?"

I turned around when I heard my name. Marth stood there, holding an umbrella. 

"Oh...it's you."

"Yeah, it's me," he said with a smile. 

"What's with the umbrella?"

He flipped his hair. "Wouldn't want those UV rays on my beautiful skin, you know?"

"Ah," I answered. "Yeah." I looked down. Marth is Link's friend. Having him around makes me think of my old best friend. 

Who am I kidding? Everything makes me think of him.

Marth looked up at the sky. "So, Princess, what brings you here?"

"Nothing," I managed to say. "Just taking a stroll. You?"

"I needed some time away from the books." He shrugged. "Even someone like me could get tired of those things."

"I thought you love to study."

He scoffed. "Are you serious? Nobody likes studying."

"So why do you always have such good grades?"

"Well," he answered with another hair flip, "I am a hero-king after all."

"Yeah." I put my hands in my pockets. "Well, I'll be going the--"

CRACK!

I was startled. I looked up as clouds covered up the sun. Water droplets fell into my eyes. 

"Wow...my umbrella is really handy this time," Marth said. He looked at me. "I can escort you back, if you'd like." He motioned to his umbrella. 

Marth and I? Under an umbrella? When it's raining? Sounds like a typical romance...

"Come on, Princess! Or you'll be soaking wet."

I nodded awkwardly and came under the umbrella. What was once a drizzle turned into a full-on thunderstorm. 

It was quiet for a while. All I could hear was the rain hitting the ground. But suddenly, thunder clapped so loudly that my ears hurt. 

I squeaked and jumped closer to Marth. He froze. "Are you scared, Princess?"

"Y-yeah," I answered quietly. 

"Don't worry. We'll be back to the dorms shortly."

I clutched his arm tightly as we hurried back inside. When we came in, he closed his umbrella. "Does this happen every time?"

"Every...time...?" I repeated, confused.

"You know...when you're with Link."

I looked down. Link...

Yeah, he's right. Link used to carry me out of the rain. It was scary...but it was fun.

It was special.

"It's okay, Zelda," he said softly, patting my back. "It'll all be fine."

I sniffed and threw my arms around him. Tears were coming out of my eyes and they wouldn't stop.

He gave me a squeeze. "I know," he said, not even knowing all the things going through my head. "It's my fault. You just have to trust him, okay?"

"No," I sobbed, shaking my head, "no, no, no...!"

"Princess, please..." He touched the back of my head. "Please don't cry."

"He hates me..." I cried. "I'm the w-worst..."

"No, you're not," Marth insisted. 

"I am..."

"I'm really sorry, Princess..." he whispered. Thunder cracked loudly outside. The lights flickered. He pulled away. "You should be getting back to your dorm, right? It's almost curfew..."

I nodded and hurried away.

As soon as I got into my room, I broke down again. 

A/N: Awwww, poor Zelda...hope you like this chapter. I feel like it's the best I've written in a long time...Well, have a good day! Bye!