Chapter 21: Melody Pond

"Doctor, we need you in the control room," Vastra asked over the inter com system minutes later.

We'd all moved to the ground floor of Demons Run, trying to settle Melody. She didn't like the TARDIS, she didn't like anywhere in the infinite machine, unfathomably.

By that point, I had gotten over her overwhelming cuteness and began to question things. Why had these people, this army, kidnapped Amy for her child? What secret, what power did she hold? I knew the leader of the God Lords, and he did nothing without a reason. He'd taken Daniel, gone to extreme lengths to hide him, in order for the exact outcome which had occurred.

So I was forced to look at my goddaughter with scrutiny, trying to find anything off about her, anything that could explain my own kidnapping.

"Daniel," the Doctor called as he stretched his back from carrying a rickety cot out of the TARDIS, "come with me."

The wooden cot's paint was barely there anymore, only a scrap of pale yellow and blue, with a metal mobile of celestial beings rattling like coins. The central sun was bulbous and glowed weakly.

The pair of them set off for the very room we'd returned from, walking in perfect sync to another. The past few months must been a master class in being the Doctor, a four-week long tutoring session.

"I'm here too," I called out, my hand lightly placed on the curved head of the cot, afraid that the weight of my palm alone could vaporize the ancient wood.

The Doctor stopped walking and turned back, motioning carelessly with his hand, "Look after Melody, catch up with the Ponds."

They were in a hurry to get away, and the Ponds and I had a feeling why.

"Is there something you're not telling us?" Rory asked, stepping forward with a hand scraping towards his gladius. I only knew the name of the sword thanks to Jason. With a startle, I realized I hadn't thought about the child of Jupiter in months.

Daniel only looked to the Doctor, who returned the movement, and an entire conversation passed between them. There was knowledge there, the knowledge that Amy at least deserved to know.

"Doctor this is our baby, our friend. You knew we weren't real, why didn't you say?" the new mother asked.

"Couldn't be sure that they were listening," he shrugged and began to walk away.

"Tell us something, one little thing," Amy pleaded.

The Doctor stopped short and turned around. "It's mine," he said, and then realized he needed to clarify, "the cot. I slept in it."

The pair had only disappeared for a few seconds when Strax bounded onto the floor with Lorna, the soldier who'd helped me before, at gunpoint. "State your rank and intention," he growled, and didn't take his eyes off the soldier when he added, "I found her listening at the door."

"Lorna," I asked, stepping forward towards her, arm out slightly in caution. She was a friend, but nevertheless, I still had my powers at the ready. "What are you doing here?"

"I heard Kovarian talking; this whole place is a trap. She's got Headless Monks and God Lords here to kill you all."

Rory scoffed, knuckles white against the hilt of his sword, his gaze all centurion and no nurse left behind. We all looked at each other, and every face I met with was filled with doubt. But I knew Lorna, more than they did anyway. Her claim had the potential to be real, enough to make fear swirl in my gut.