34. Complications Part 2

And I will still be here, stargazing
I'll still look up, look up
Look up for love
I will still be here, stargazing
I'll still look up, look up
Look up for love  

~Kygo feat Justin Jesso

I breathed in heavily, as another contraction hit me.

My fingernails dug into Leo's hand, tightly and I knew I was hurting him but the pain was excruciating. Although the contractions were still twenty minutes apart, they still hurt like a bitch.

"They need to turn it," I whimpered out, through the pain.

"I know bella, and they will, they have to otherwise I will fucking sue this damn hospital!" Leo promised as he dabbed at my sweaty forehead with a wet wash cloth.

I had been in the hospital for only two hours and so far I had multiple contractions, but they have still spread apart by 20 minutes to half an hour. Usually, women in labour are only advised to come to the hospital if their contractions are minutes apart, as well as being four centimetres dilated, the only reason why I hadn't been sent home yet was that my waters hadn't broken and my baby was facing the wrong way.

A midwife by the name of Sarah had come and informed us that she would be with me throughout the whole process and would help me to turn the baby if it would not turn by itself.

"Can we go for a walk?" I asked Leo. The pain had toned down, and all I now felt was the numbing in my back.

"Is that a good idea?" Leo asked, standing up. He looked like he was about to push me back onto the bed but I was already getting ready to stand.

"Who knows, maybe if I'm moving it will make the baby move," I said trying to sound convincing even though I had no idea what I was talking about.

"Alright, I need to go for a smoke anyways," Leo said.

I mentally rolled my eyes at him. I could understand that Leo was addicted to smoking but yet I would have thought that he would be more concerned about our baby, rather than his disgusting urge.

"Why don't you just get a vape pen or something like that-"

"It's not the same and if you're thinking about trying to get me to quit, it will never work."

"Never say never," I replied, as Leo helped me to slip on my dressing gown.

"I packed slippers in my overnight bag," I told Leo since I wasn't wearing any shoes and I didn't come to the hospital with any due to the fact that Leo had carried me, to the car and into the hospital.

Leo pulled out my slippers and helped me to get them on, once he was done he slipped on his blazer and took his hand with mine.

"Let's go," he said with a small smile.

We walked at a slow pace, hand in hand because my back was aching and my feet felt numb and I also felt as if my back was going to give in at any minute. We passed other hospital rooms with pregnant women in there, most of them were screaming their heads off as contractions hit. Other women were just lying on the beds reading magazines.

It made me realise that not every woman had the same labour experiences, but yet I hoped that none of them had a complication like I did.

"What are you thinking about?" Leo asked, giving my hand a small squeeze.

Shrugging my shoulders, I didn't bother to answer him.

We continued to walk, a slow but comfortable pace.