Chapter 9

"The manhunt for the person behind the mass murders throughout our city is still ongoing. Myself and the entire NYPD will not rest until the Crimson Bullet is behind bars and not harming any more citizens."

I scoff, changing the channel on the tv back to the cartoons I was watching. Finishing my cereal, I stare towards the wall with an empty expression.

The police can't catch me, so when it continues to escalate, what are they going to do?

I stand up, making my way into the kitchen and as soon as I go to place my bowl in the sink, I drop it in realization,

Oh f-ck! They'll call the FBI! No, no they wouldn't do that.. right?

I run a hand down my face as my phone starts to ring in the other room. Sighing, I make my way towards the annoying noise, answering on the last ring.

"Jack's Mortuary, you stab 'em, we slab 'em. Some go to Heaven, some go to Hell-o."

The other side of the line is quiet for a moment, then I hear rustling followed by a voice.

"I swear, you only answer like that with me."

Grace.

"What do I owe the pleasure, officer?"

I haven't spoken to Grace since I not only told her I cared about her, but told her that I'm the one running around shooting people.

"What are you doing right now?"

"Oh, you know, cleaning my torture chamber. Organizing my jars of heads by age and hair color."

"That's disgusting."

"You asked, darling."

"Seriously, what are you doing."

I groan, letting myself fall back onto my couch, hanging my head over the back.

"I'm sitting here, staring at the ceiling currently. What do you need?"

"Why do I have to need something to call you?"

"Well, the only phone calls I get are either work related, or Roy needing a drinking buddy."

"So you aren't busy?"

"Currently, not in the slightest. Later? I have something to do, why?"

"I wanted to see if you, I don't know, wanted to go do something?"

I squint slightly to myself, confused at Grace's change in tone.

"Grace?"

"Hmm?"

"Why do you sound nervous?"

"Wha-? I'm not nervous?!"

I chuckle into the phone, nodding,

"Sure, Grace. What are we doing this time?"

"Well, you said you had something to do-"

I cut her off,

"Grace, I'll do what I need to do and meet you whenever you tell me to."

There's a slight pause on the other line, but when she speaks again I can practically hear the scowl on her face as it appears.