Chapter 19

Before I start this chapter, I would like to say...

HOLY CRAP

You guys have gotten this story to over 1k reads and that alone is amazing. I never thought this story was even remotely good enough for half of those, but thank you so much for reading.

The song is what I was listening to for a good 85% of writing this chapter, so feel free to listen to it.

And hey, I made a new cover! What do you think?

But, enough of this note, how about what you really came for?

~*

Previously

1) Do what the woman says and hope that eventually I'll get Grace back.

2) Call my father and see if he has any information on any other criminal organizations. Downside, he'll know I know of his illegal ties.

3) Steal Carter's files of every contract's informants and backtrack to the woman.

4) Call Lauren for backup.

Now the ultimate question, who do I want to trust and who do I want to betray for the one and only time?

Do I want to risk it? Is Grace worth all of this hassle? My next contract is up in three hours, so I guess it's now or never.

~*

"What's the plan?"

I groaned out loud for what felt like the hundredth time in the last twenty-four hours. I spare a glance at my new companion before I look out the windshield of their car towards the building.

"We get in, get what we need, and get out. Simple."

"Yeah? Simple, huh?"

"Why do I sense sarcasm?"

"Because I'm using it. What kind of plan is that, Aly? You come asking me for help for something I shouldn't really care about and now you tell me you don't have a plan?"

"Look-"

"No, you look, if anything I should be sworn enemies with this girl. But since I love you, I'm helping you with this. I'm risking my own life so you can be happy, Aly. So let's try this again. What's the plan?"

I sigh, leaning my head back against the headrest and close my eyes.

"Do you have a laptop?"

"It's the twenty-first century, Aly. Yes, I have a laptop."

"Lo, do me a favor and quit with the sarcasm for five goddamn minutes."

I swear I can hear her mock me under her breath, but she listens. Reaching behind my seat, she pulls out a sleek black laptop from underneath and drops it on my lap. Ignoring her glance, I open up the laptop before logging on and getting on the internet.

"You know, normal people say thank you."

I once again ignore her and ask her a question of my own.

"Were you always this annoying or has it turned up because we aren't together anymore?"

"Jesus, what crawled up your ass and died?"

I manage to get into the buildings security system, bypassing the alarms and cameras, continuing to ignore the annoying woman to my left.