1.2 ~ Replaced

Technology was Pandora's Box, masking itself with the deceitful allusion of a world without limitations.

Once unhatched, mankind unveiled an unstoppable force of impossible dreams.

Like a parasite, technology spread like wildfire, casting a permanent shadow over the world while underneath, something poisonous bloomed.

Now during the 24th century, nothing remains untouched by technology's harsh, ruling hand.

In what was an attempt to advance our species into a stronger, more unified race, only pushed humanity to the brink of extinction. In its place, a race of lifeless, animatronic corpses.

From flesh and bone to gears and metal; from memory and emotions to wires and hard drives. These are all that remain of a once promising race.

Now it seems as if almost all has been lost as I fear I am the last of my kind.

Small bursts of light permeate my vision as I slowly ease my eyes open.

No matter the multiple times I close my eyes, my efforts to block out reality serve useless as my fate is clearly marked from beyond these iron bars.

Soon they'll be coming for me.

Soon these cold, torpid walls are brought to life with pleasantly spacious tunes of silky reverberations stemming from an instrument I never once believed I would hear again.

The sonorous contrivance, eliciting soothing and emotional sensations, resonate to innumerable past memories.

I'm instantly taken back to my first recollections of life, to the first time that pure, lustrous tune touched my soft ears as mother played the strings. She said it was the one thing technology could not lay ruin.

As the clear, glassy tunes vary in richness of sound and note, I begin to accept my fate.

Today is my 18th birthday, the day I must undergo full operation.

Today is the day I die.

The violin sung it's last note, dying off into the dry, empty air.

One haunting thought however, never once surpassed my mind as I feel the weakness of my bones cannot withstand the burdening of my guilt.

The memory of that night tormented my mind once more, the night we snuck into Archives to find any clues hinting at our parent's whereabouts.

After they had found us, only I managed an escape.

Soft streaks steadily etch down my cheeks at the haunting remembrance of my brother's hand slipping away from my grasp.