seven

Alana rested her head against the cold car window, her slim fingers playing with the silver star pendant hanging from her neck

Elijah got in the car, frowning when his daughter refused to recognise his presence. It had been happening for a while now and to say things were tense between them would be an understatement.

He started the car and began the short drive to the dance studio.

"Are we not talking now?" He sighed, briefly averting his eyes from the road over the young girl.

Alana closed her sky blue eyes, inhaling deeply before she finally spoke, "You beat up your own brother because you thought he was being a better dad than you."

Elijah parked the car across the road from the studio.

"What time am I picking you up?"

She unbuckled her seat belt, grabbed her bag, and got out of the car, "The same time you've picked me up all week."

"Have fun!" He called out to her, only to have her slam the door shut in response. He pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed. "Shit."

-

With one leg rested on the barre, Alana reached forward and touched the tip of her pointe shoes. She stretched for a few more minutes before grabbing her bag from the corner of the room and heading towards the change rooms.

She quickly changed into a pair of black leggings and a sports crop. She pulled her hair from the tight bun it was in and lifted her bag over her shoulder, holding her sneakers in one hand and her phone in the other.

Alana exited the studio, taking a seat on the front steps as she tended to her blistered feet before slipping her worn out Nikes on.

"You have a really nice arch," a voice spoke, startling the young girl.

"You often look a girl's feet?" She retorted, looking up to face the boy that had approached her.

"Bad habit; 10 years of ballet," he shrugged. Alana looked him up and down wearily. He had messy dark brown hair, a chiseled jawline, forest green eyes that healed a hint of mischief, and a ghost of a smile on his lips. "I'm Kyle, by the way."

"Alana."

"Pretty name for a pretty girl." A light blush formed on her cheeks as he took a seat on the steps next to her. "Why have I never seen you around before?"

"I only moved here about a month ago."

"Ah, that explains it," he chuckled lightly. "Well, if you want someone to show you around or something, I'd be happy to."

She smiled, looking down at her feet, "I'd like that."

The two teenagers quickly exchanged numbers, making idle smalltalk until a loud honk sounded from across the road, startling them.

"Oh, um, I've gotta go. That's my ride," Alana stood up, swinging her bag over her shoulder. "It was nice meeting you."

"I'll see you around."

She gave him one last smile before climbing into her father's black Porsche.