Chapter Three

I walked into the bookstore, feeling equal parts nervousness and excitement. The little bell over the door announced my arrival again and this time Harrison did look up. He still looked grumpy, but notably less scowly. Once he saw that it was me, he nodded and looked back down at what he was doing on a laptop set up at the register.

I slowly walked over to him, hoping he would look up at me again. He just continued typing on the computer. I shuffled my feet, not knowing if I should say something.

Eventually I said, "Is there something you want me to do?"

He finally looked up at me, studying me for a long while. I realized I was even more attracted to him today than I had been last week. I had always had a thing for older men, but all my crushes in the past had mostly been on teachers and other men totally unattainable. Harrison was the first older man who seemed to show slight interest in me too. And I mean slight.

I licked my lips and his eyes focused there. Maybe more than slight interest? All I wanted was for him to look at me with lust in his eyes. I wanted him to desire me. I was young, I was cute. What kind of guy could pass that up?

I gave him a small, flirty smile which caused him to frown and look away. This guy was going to be hard to catch.

"You can start off by walking Sherlock," he said.

Sherlock?

I blinked, remembering that I was actually here to work. Those books had really been helpful so far and I wanted to tell him. I wanted to thank him, but I felt like I would only get a frown in response.

Who the fuck was Sherlock and why was I walking them?

Harrison gestured behind the counter and I walked around to see a geriatric dachshund curled up on a dog bed. I cooed and kneeled down on the floor next to him, lightly petting his head. He woke up and yawned widely, then snuggled back into his warm bed. His brown fur was sprinkled heavily with gray and he was a bit chubby.

"It doesn't look like he wants to go for a walk," I said.

"Sherlock, walk," Harrison said. He had the same stern tone with the dog that he did with me. "Want to go for a walk?" Sherlock didn't move. "I'll get his leash," he said and disappeared into the back room.

"Poor thing," I cooed again, petting the dog's head. "Having to deal with that mean old man all day."

Harrison cleared his throat and I looked up to see him standing there, holding a small red leash. I realized he had heard what I said. I smirked until I saw his expression. I couldn't tell if it was anger or embarrassment, maybe both, but either way I didn't find the situation amusing anymore.

Harrison said nothing to me and bent down to clip the leash to the poor old thing. His matching collar had been hidden in the folds of his skin. Chubby guy. Sherlock seemed to get the picture after that and he yawned once again, standing up to go for a walk. Harrison handed the leash to me and I took it, but as soon as I did he turned away from me and looked at his laptop again. I felt rejected. I shouldn't have called him old. I got the sense that he didn't like that.

I waited a moment for him to say something, but he ignored me. I sighed silently and turned to leave.

"Be careful," he said after my back was turned. "Stick to the sidewalk, don't cross any streets. Try to be back in twenty minutes."

I nodded and left hurriedly. I didn't know if he had been concerned about me or his dog. Hopefully both of us.

After we were out of the store I said, "What do you think, Sherlock? Do you think he likes me?"