Chapter Twelve

Life with Jon was like a fairytale.

Each day I was happier and more in love than the last. Finally confessing how I felt about him made my life a thousand times better.

We made love frequently and sometimes got a little carried away with ourselves. We tried to keep our hands to ourselves when Ethan was staying the night though. I had never known I could be so loud, Jon really brought it out in me. And we really, really did not want Ethan to hear us fucking. It had been embarrassing enough when I called Jon Daddy in front of his son. The poor kid did not need to hear his father having sex with his boyfriend...he would be scarred for life.

So the nights that Ethan stayed over, which was usually the weekends—Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights—we tried to be on our best behavior.

I had been working really hard on getting the bookstore ready to open again. I was planning on the grand-reopening happening next month.

Jon had been a huge help. He ran his own business so he could give me a lot of advice on what to do and what not to do.

I had quit my job at the coffee shop because it had been too much to handle—opening the store and working my part time job at the same time. Jon said he was perfectly okay with it and he was happy that I had found a passion in opening the bookstore again.

I knew that once the store was open again, I would most likely be there everyday—unless I hired some people—and it would become a much bigger job than just working part-time at the coffee shop.

I was proud of myself. Jon said he was proud of me.

And I knew that Harrison would've been proud of me too.

Jon took care of me a lot, just like Harrison did...but I had never stood on my own two feet as much as I was now.

Jon was helping a lot but the store was my responsibility. And he knew how important it was to me, so even though he helped when I needed him, he let me do a lot of it on my own.

But today, I had other things besides the bookstore to worry about.

Jon and I were throwing a barbecue at the house. Our first party we were throwing together.

A lot of his friends were coming and I was going to meet his daughter for the first time. I was fucking nervous about that.

But I was even more nervous about my family.

My parents and brother were coming and I didn't know how they were going to react. I knew Liam would most likely be polite. But my mother was a whole different story. I didn't know how she was going to handle Jon being much older than me. I was pretty sure my father wouldn't make a scene...it was only my mother I was worried about.

I was staring blankly out the sliding glass door, watching Jon move chairs around outside. The nerves were really settling in and I was wondering if this was a mistake.

Jon came up the door and gave me a look through the glass. I sighed. Then he made a ridiculous face that I couldn't help but smile at. He grinned, looking happy that he had gotten me to smile.

He opened the door and motioned for me to come outside. I stepped through and stood on the deck, looking around the yard.

"You don't have to be so worried, sweetheart. What, do you think your mom is going to smack me across that face in front of everyone?" He asked, looking amused.

"No," I answered with a huff. "She will probably be really passive aggressive towards you and then she yell at me in front of everyone."

"Has this happened before?" He asked.