Hopeless

-----------------------------------------

Hey guys! I've been getting all your comments and I'm so sorry this wasn't up sooner! I have bad writers block and school has been stressing me out.

But without further ado, here is Chapter 3!

-----------------------------------------

I glare at Merle, "You touch him again, you best watch your ass. Got it?"

My brother shrugs the threat off, "I ain't scared of you, baby sister. You couldn't hurt a fly, if I remember right."

I bite my lip, holding my fist up, "You wanna test that theory? The world's changed quite a bit since you last saw me."

Rick gently grabs my fist and pulls it down, "Calm down, Hazel. You don't have to prove yourself to him."

This gives me mixed feelings. On one hand, I'm pissed that Rick stopped me. On the other... I dunno. I guess I like it when he comes in to play the 'superman' role. I've always liked that. He's just so... Rick. So sweet... So...

God, what am I thinking? Have I gone insane? I can't be thinking about my best friend like this. Not now. Not... Ever! It's wrong! He has... He has Lori. And Carl. They... They've got to be alive. They've got to!

I hear Rick talking out a plan with the group, so I just sit down next to my trapped brother. A chuckle comes from his mouth, followed by words.

"You like 'im, don't ya?" Merle comments with his raspy voice.

I furrow my brows, "'Like'? The hell you talkin' bout?"

He smirks, "You know what I mean, baby sister. You love him."

"Whatever, Merle."

My brother just laughs, "No denial, eh? That just proves my point."

I shut him up by punching him hard in the side. This technique has worked all my life, and it gives me about 10 minutes of no talking.

"Where's Daryl? He... He's okay, right?" I ask.

Merle nods, "Yeah, he's back at the camp. He'll be overjoyed to see his baby sister again. God, all he talked about was trying to find ya. It was all 'Hazel this' and 'Hazel that'."

This puzzles me. Daryl and I have always been close, but not as close as Merle and I. I wonder why he was so worried about me? I'm old enough to take care of myself. Then again, Daryl is the protective type.

Rick walks over to me with a kind smile on. I take a moment to look him over. I wouldn't say I'm checking him out, I'm just looking at his face. He has blue eyes, something I've always liked about him. I have weird green eyes that I hate, but Rick always reminds me how pretty they are. He's that kind of person, who cheers you up, and sometimes without even trying.

"Hey, are you alright? You seem a bit..." He trails off, keeping eye contact.

I give a weak smile, "I'm fine. Any plans to get out of here?"

Rick sighs and sits down next to me. Closer than usual. It's a bit uncomfortable, but I enjoy the closeness of another human being next to me.

"I've known you for a long time, Hazel. I can tell when you're lying."

I shrug, "It doesn't matter. Are there any plans?"

"What's wrong?" He asks once again, "And tell me the truth. Please?"

A sigh escapes my mouth, "I... I'm just tired. Really. I wish everything could go back the way it used to be and..."

Rick uses his right hand to tilt my chin up, and he gazes into my eyes.

"And what?"

I retain a blush. Rick has never been this close to my face before. I mean, he's not being intimate or anything, but still.

"I... I don't know. I've been feeling... Hopeless lately. What if this is it? What if there's nothing left? No cure, no future... I think this is it, Rick."