Storming Off

I'm his best friend. Nothing more, nothing less.

For some reason, this thought causes a small part of me to feel an unimaginable pain. Why? I don't have those kinds of feelings for him. Do I?

"So... I'm your best friend. That's good, I guess," I choke out a small, fake laugh.

Rick sighs, "You are, you know that. I really am sorry about Lori, you know. She can be-"

I push him away slightly, getting up. I grab a weapon and start walking into the woods. Some part of me is so emotional right now, and I don't want anyone to see me vulnerable.

"Hazel, where are you going?" Rick calls.

I shrug, "Nowhere. Tell the group I went out hunting."

I run into the forest, leaving Rick speechless.

My legs carry me further and further away. I run as fast as I can, drowning out the sounds of the forest with my thoughts.

I sit down on a log, making sure no walkers are nearby. My thoughts surround me, and I jut sit and stare.

"Hey, you! Who are you?" Demands a familiar voice.

I look up to see a man with a crossbow. No, that's not just any man.

It's Daryl. My brother.

I smile, pushing the crossbow away from my face and wrapping my arms around him.

"Daryl!" I happily shout.

He sighs, "Keep quiet, you'll attract walkers."

Even through his harsh tone, I can see a glimmer of relief in his eyes.

I roll my eyes, "Whatever. You missed me, didn't you?"

Daryl manages to uncover a smile of his own, "Yeah, I guess you could say that."

My arms slowly fall off him, and my hand reaches for his. I start dragging him towards the camp.

"Hey, what are you-"

I laugh, "I don't want to go back without you! I lost you once, and I'd rather not go through that again."

We soon get back to the camp, and Rick runs to me the moment he catches sight of me.

"Hazel, what happened? Why did you storm off like that?" He asks.

Why did I? I honestly don't know. I think what Rick said made me... I dunno. I guess I was hurt when I realized I was just a friend to him.

I shrug, "I just needed some fresh air, y'know?"

"No, please tell me the truth. I've known you for more than ten years, I know when you're lying."

My eyes look into his. I know he's concerned, but I can't tell him. What would I tell him, anyway? 'I think I have feelings for you'? No, that's stupid. I probably don't, this is just a phase.

"I'm tired and the sun's going down. We should go to bed."

"Ey, Merle! Get your ass out here, I got us some squirrel!"