Chapter 9. Panther's Liberation

A foul vapor rolled over them in waves. Its misty tongue licked everything into oblivion, carrying the type of smell that penetrated bones, putrid, as if something long dead stirred to life. Lilith coughed and felt as if the little breakfast she managed to eat demanded to come out. The ground shuddered under thunderous steps of someone heavy. A rush of wind followed, swirling with rose petals, and then that too passed and all was still.

Bär snarled. Gustav grabbed him by the scruff of the neck.

Ed and Lilith nervously awaited their trial.

"What shall I do with you?" said Alfred. "I think I'll have to separate you two. You see, my...gardening business is a rather important affair. It can't be meddled with by two naughty children. I tried talking to you, didn't I? But you don't listen. Well, you're forcing me to resort to drastic measures." He motioned Gustav and the mastiff away.

Only now Lilith noticed rips in his suit and scratches on his face. Did the bush woman do this?

"Ed, I'll talk to Rosalinde tomorrow. Long overdue. I believe I need to hire a new gardener. She's not being much help lately."

Ed swallowed.

"It's time for you to move on. Get out of this place, change schools, find new friends. No use sulking. You have to keep on living, my dear boy. Put those silly ideas of becoming an artist out of your head. Learn how to make money."

He tapped Ed's forehead.

Ed balled his hands into fists.

"Lilith, I'd prefer it if you stayed in your room from now on, unless I tell you otherwise. I will take your...creature away for the duration of your visit if you don't humor me with excellent behavior. What do you say? Sound fair?"

Lilith's heart froze at the idea of parting with Panther. She nodded miserably.

"I need an actual answer. Yes or no?"

"Yes, Grandfather," she mumbled.

"Good." Alfred let out a sigh, and for a moment, Lilith thought she saw her true grandfather flash underneath the mask of the eccentric, the wealthy owner of a successful business, and the Bloom family patron. He was simply a tired old man. A pang of pity stung her. Whatever gruesome things he did took a toll on him.

"Shall we?" Alfred seized the children's arms and led them along the hedge until they reached a tunnel and exited through the arbor. Ed and Lilith quietly trotted behind their guide who changed direction so often that Lilith left all hope at remembering the way. The garden kept going on and on, gradually changing from wild and foreboding to groomed and transparent.

Lilith regretted not asking Ed more questions about her grandfather and the rose garden. She fixed her beret now and then, trying to get Ed's attention, but he appeared deep in thought.

At last they arrived by the mansion, at a side door Lilith hadn't seen before. The housekeeper pushed it open. A couple delivery people filed out with a stack of empty crates, said their hellos, and sauntered off.

"Herr Bloom." Agatha nodded and let them in, not a muscle twitching in her face at the sight of her master's ragged appearance.

Unbearable noise crashed over Lilith. Pots were slapped on the stove, dishes stacked, silvery thrown into drawers by a portly woman who generated as much noise as ten people. Lilith recognized her as the cook. Delicious smells compensated for her racket, and Lilith inhaled a lungful of them: a whiff of roasting bratwurst, fried potatoes, and freshly baked bread.

"Herr Bloom!" exclaimed Monika, wiping her hands on an apron.

Alfred waved her off, turning to Lilith. "I believe you skipped lunch. You must be hungry. My presentation got rather long, didn't it?"