Chapter Fourty-Four

SONG: Chase Atlantic - Into It (slowed)

🌷

D e r e k

M a t t h e w s

The Levesques, Grandma and Aunt Marlene left for morning mass. I wonder if it is a Protestant of Catholic service they attended. In a living room, the woken sun blazed through the encasements did little to diminish the surmised nip. Tanner is lounging on a sofa, his marvelling mocha steaming.

Mollifying onto an opposite white sofa, propping my legs onto the coffee table, the white foam of my latte smarts my lips. "The Illiad."

He turns a page. "It's a good read."

"Of course — it's good old Homer. I offered some books to April."

"I saw." He hoists up, turning to propel his legs onto the central table. "One of them was a ... interesting recommendation." His gaze guffawed. "Do you think she will read it?"

"I hope so. Is it her taste?"

"She's surprising, so I don't know."

Patricia enters, cradling Rose on her hip.

Tanner immediately radiates, as he normally does when there is small child around. Advancing to Rose, "Good morning!"

He sprawls out his arms. Dazed and rejuvenating, Rose fractures into a toothy beam. She is freshly dressed in a ruffled shirt, bottoms and socks. Her tight-curly hair is rousled, her brown cheeks flushed. She slants inward to Tanner's chest, her chubby fingers grappling his grey hoodie as he lugs her into his arms.

Tanner strokes a few hands out of her face. "We were waiting for you to wake up."

"There are some deers wanting to meet you," I say.

Rose blinks onto me, apprehending my presence. Weirdly, her eyes amplifies. I wave, and the flush to her skin enhances. She submerges her face into Tanner's neck, embroidered of his classic silver chain, peeking at me through her thick eyelashes.

I tilt my head. "You're shy, Rose."

She presses harder into Tanner, as if wanting to hide, and turns her face to gap at he mist-melting windows.

Patricia chuckles. "I think someone has a crush."

Tanner rubs a hand up and down Rose's back. "On me, hmm?"

He lowers to his seat, positioning the little girl on his lap. She smells of baby cologne, fresh and adoring. Jessie comes in with a milk bottle. Rose happily accepts it, drinking as the tap-tap of the dogs' paws resonates in the vacant corridors to the kitchen. Their collars are unclasped. Since there is a baby in the house, Rose could easily have her fingers tangled.

We told the housemaids we will babysit Rose for the whole morning. They exit the living room. Rose moves to alleviate between Tanner and me, sinking into the plush cushions. 

I pluck off some tissues and dab away the milk dribbling to her chin. "So, you and Ethan huh?"

"You and April, huh," he retorts.

I sigh. "You won't ever listen, will you?"

"Not when you're lying."

"I wasn't lying, Tan."

"I saw the way you looked at her yesterday. It's the same as Lin checking out Ma."

I blow the steam. "Do I really talk about her?"