Chapter Fifty

SONG: Chase Atlantic - Friends (slowed)

🌷

April Levesque

Derek walked me home. His Security didn't accompany him tonight. He mentioned they're on the way to pick him up. His outfit camouflages with obscurity: cargo trousers, the bomber jacket is buff enough to enshroud his muscles, unveiling the strong column of his wide neck; the hood stapled strands of his jet-black hair to his forehead. The porch's light flares, his stare a pair of glowing spheres.

"Will you be joining the protest?"

In a couple of days is the school protest for Bodie Banks. "I don't know."

Truthfully, I will feel safer protesting next to him. I don't know why. Maybe it's because we have trust — he is a person of respect and awareness.

It was fun today. Our conversations are enjoyable. His kinks ... I should have expected that. It's kind of hot. I did envision what it would be like to have sex with him — for a second! I know, I know. I shouldn't. I'm not interested in relationships. He isn't either. But that mischievous glister in his hair-raising eyes ... It was transfixing. Again, I won't tell him that.

The Matthews Brothers having threesomes - Okay, April. Enough.

I thought those types of discussions would be off-putting, considering the assaults. I feel proud it didn't — I wanted to push through that ceiling, that barrier, and overcome my fears, one brick at a time, and I don't care if the pace is slow or hasty.

By my house, I stop in front of him. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Try not to make up scenarios about me to help you sleep."

This guy ...

"You need help sleeping more than I do."

He whistles. "Touche, Levesque." He hesitantly unravels his arms. "Perhaps a goodnight hug could help me sleep."

I gasp. "From me?"

"You give the best hugs."

That fond smile aches my face muscles. I embrace him tightly, hands locked onto his wide shoulders. Engulfed in the snug, chunky sleeves of his bomber jacket, my face pressed into his chest, he feels like a teddy bear. I spontaneously inhale his strong, princely scent of pine, power and justice. Platonic, nonetheless a glister of a foreign emotion I couldn't quite fathom — his or mine, or both.

I can hug the opposite sex.

I am hugging the opposite sex.

I don't feel afraid

Around Derek Lysander Tobias Matthews, I like myself better. 

I do something impulsive. I lift to my tip-toes and offer a kiss, a friendly kiss, to his left cheek, on that wretched, charming scar his wretched father gave, and he falters. I love that scar. I'm sure a thousand others love it, too. The way it scrunches and briefly disappears within a simper ... It is a whisper of his whole story; the physical, marred tear.

I step back. "Goodnight, Derek."

Trying to recover, he — Wait, is that a blush? "Sweet—sweet dreams."

I swear his smile was the biggest smile I've ever seen. 

🌷

apologies for such a short chapter.