Prologue

Hailey looks as the crowd surrounds her elder sister, a lecturer in a college.

'Bye Kaitlyn!'

'I wish you weren't leaving... But happy engagement!'

Voices of people trying to talk to Kaitlyn made it almost impossible to hear what any of them were saying. But she kept her cool and thanked everyone that congratulated her. She was accepting gifts and letters from all the students, the last goodbye from them.

A sudden movement from the corner of Hailey's eye caught her attention. It was Chase, Kaitlyn's fiance's brother. She watched as he took what looked like a letter, folded it into a paper plane and threw it towards Kaitlyn.

Hailey watched in horror as the wind changed the direction of the paper plane, coming straight at her.

'Ow!!'

The plane hit her in the face. She slowly bends down to pick it up and started reading it.

'To Kaitlyn...'

She was unable to read the rest as Chase snatched it from her, glaring at her. He stormed back into the school, unaware of the staring eyes of Kaitlyn, also unaware of Hailey secretly following him.

Why won't he give her the letter?

She followed Chase all around the school until he started ripping up the letter, tossing it in a trash can.

'NOO!!' Hailey screamed internally.

After Chase left the hallway, Hailey approached the trash can, hesitating for a few seconds. Until her curiosity got the best of her, she made sure no one was looking, before reaching in and grabbing the contents.

She made sure she took all the parts of the letter before she scurried home to take a look.

Chase wouldn't mind, right? We've been friends forever, I hope he won't mind me reading this.

Piece, by piece, she started fixing it back together like a jigsaw puzzle. Her pulse was beating with anxiety and guilt, but curiosity was her weakness.