Epilogue

It was the 20th of June. Everyone was busy getting dressed, preparing food, making sure everything goes smoothly on this special day. Hailey was in Kaitlyn's room, helping her look perfect, making sure every strand of hair goes in the right place, making sure her dress look dazzling for the groom.

'This is the day!' Hailey sang to her sister, making her grin and blush at the same time.

The wedding was nothing big, Kaitlyn and Roy had only invited a few friends and family, not more than thirty of them.

'We wouldn't have enough money to feed guests that come for the food' Kaitlyn joked when Hailey asked why they didn't invite more people.

The crowd started to quiet down as they watched Kaitlyn walk down the aisle in her stunning white gown, topping it off with a bouquet of roses in her hands. Hailey was already bored to death. It's not that she didn't care about her sister's wedding. In fact, she finds weddings boring. She couldn't help thinking about the waste of money and effort a couple went through, just to get divorced years later.

What's the point of taking a marriage vow, if you're not going to keep it?

Finishing that thought, she started to focus on her sister who was grabbing a mic, taking a deep breath before starting to say her marriage vow.

'I didn't really know much about love until I met you.
I've always thought that love was just a simple kiss on the cheek.
You were the one who showed me kindness.
You gave me happiness.
You gave me strength.
You were always there when I needed you most.
You are the peanut butter to my jelly.'

Kaitlyn smirked at Roy playfully, but with tears gleaming in her eyes.

'You made me realize that love is infinite.
Love is the tears you shed,
the time you've spent,
the sacrifices you gave,
the promises you've held,
all for that one, special, person.
And that person, is you.
My best friend, my partner, my lover.
I promise I will love you, in sickness and in health,
to love and cherish you, no matter what challenges we may face.
Whatever the future holds, I will always love you,
forever and ever, until the end of time.'

Kaitlyn finished her marriage vow, wiping a tear that escaped from her eyes, smiling at her future husband as his lips trembled slightly. The people started clapping for her, some with smiles on their face, some with tears in their eyes, some that had both.

By this time, Hailey was already distracted. Roy's marriage vow was drowned out by her thoughts, of what it would be like to have someone who loved you just as you loved him. Before she knew it, Roy had already finished, and the couple had already kissed, sealing their vows to be together till the end of time.

As soon as people started to get up from their seats, Hailey's eyes darted around, looking for that familiar face who loved her sister just as much as Roy. She wanted to give him back the letter that he ripped, the letter Hailey tried to tape back together, the letter he poured his heart into, the letter he didn't have the courage to give. The leftover of his heart.

There he is.

Her hand clutched onto the letter as if it was her life. Her pulse quickened as she spotted him, moving through the crowds, away from the newlyweds. What was she going to say?

'I found your letter, I'm sorry I read it without your permission and now I happen to know your secret'?

She could imagine the anger and embarrassment on his face.

She stood there, looking at his back getting further and further away into the distance. She felt the same sorrow. The loneliness, the pain, she could see it all through him. And then she decided.

She walked towards the seashore, folding the letter into a paper plane and threw it towards the horizon. She watched the paper getting soaked, ever so slowly sinking into the sea, watched as it gets consumed by the water.

The letter would be buried in the depths of the ocean, just like Chase's feelings for Kaitlyn would forever be buried in the depths of his heart, but shall never be forgotten.

Leftover Letter (Leftover Series #1)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें