Chapter 8: Tiger-Lily of Trouble

Previously:

... Jaxon and the other members of the Gifted Six signed up for a tournament that includes duels weakly. Nora and Jaxon continued to train with an underwater segment but Jaxon accidently froze the water with Nora in it...

 Nora and Jaxon continued to train with an underwater segment but Jaxon accidently froze the water with Nora in it

I break through the layer of ice and pull myself onto the pool deck. Nora sits there, her eye brows raised. "Nice try." She smirks. "We'll try again tomorrow." And she stands up her height equivalent to my chest. Nora was short, and that must help with her 'signature move'.

"Show me your signature move again," I say out of nowhere while I focus on making my ice warmer and warmer.

Nora looks to me. "Why?" I shrug.

Nora walks to the center of the walk way. Her back is to me as her hands start to glow. She pushes herself off the ground creating a razor thin block of ice that she bounces off of. Her feet land on another shard of ice and I watch in awe as she twists in an arc. She lands a foot away from me and slips. I reach out my arms to catch her and pull her up.

She looks up at me, her eyes wide. "Thank you." And she rushes off to the female dressing room.

I walk my way to the male wash room, a fairly large area. There are two ways to enter, separated by a wall. I walk around it into a dark room. The lights flicker on and I take it in. Three sinks stand against the wall that separated the entryways and a large bench goes down the length of the room. The far end is made of stalls and another pair of sinks. I grab a towel and sit on the bench.

What had I just felt? Nora had slipped and fallen into my arms, yes, but when she had looked into my eyes, my heart skipped a beat. Her icy blue eyes, both calm and energetic, the color of the sea, the sky, ice, and tears.

I shake away the thought as another pair of eyes dance into my head. Roses. I smile at my girlfriend's dark blue eyes, the color of... the color of what? The darkest part of the ocean?

I push the thoughts out of my head as I dry off a bit and walk back into the pool.

Nora canceled the next training session

Nora canceled the next training session. And the one after that. This was told to me by a note she had pushed under my door. And then she canceled training altogether. And I miss it. Two weeks pass, filled with the same laborious routine. Over the time, Ella and John had returned to being a couple again, and John seemed to at least make the effort to not be rude to me, which I ponder is the effect of Ella. His friends had also seemed to have left his side, though two still remained, one of them I had dueled, the other a red haired boy with a chiseled. He was tall about 6 foot, though he seemed to lack the usual very muscled tone of most people here. John also spent more time with Ella in public, and I had even walked past a small hidden area that I sometimes curled ice around my finger to see them making out passionately.