chapter 28

The ceremony was about to start any moment.

My initial fears have been carried away with the soft chimes of the organ in the front of the tent.

The whole wedding was a fairytale. Apparently, Lisa’s aunt Lucy knew someone who knew someone who owned a big ass house with a big ass garden, perfect for a big ass wedding.

“Is your soon-to-be uncle a celebrity or why are there so many people?” I quietly hissed into Lisa’s ear. It was already bad enough that I had to go to this wedding of two people I have never even met before yesterday – but no, I also had to sit in the very front, right next to all the family members.

Well, I could have sat somewhere in the back but I knew basically no one here so I went with the easier option which was sitting next to my happy-chattering best friend.

After Lisa, her family and I had arrived Friday afternoon, we visited Lisa’s aunt and her fiancé.

I believe his name is Ronald,” Lisa whispered into my ear. I nodded.

Ronald approached us. “Hi girls, I’m Robert.” I tried to suppress a laugh. Ronald. Of course, Lisa.

Robert was a nice guy and even a blind man could see the love between the couple. They knew a lot of people so the tent, in which the ceremony would be held in, was filled with lots of smiling faces.

“I have no idea,” Lisa whispered back, glancing around in awe.

We were quite dumbfounded when we had entered the garden half an hour ago. There were two huge tents without a floor and two sides of the tent were left open, letting the somewhat warm New Yorker air fill it.
The second tent was slightly bigger than the one we were currently in. I guessed it was for the reception.

It obviously had to be. There was an aisle and white chairs and white flowers and white … and white everythings, actually. Everything was white.

Except the people’s dresses and suits. I had already seen one man running around with a yellow suit and a purple tie, making Lisa and me grimace. Most women wore classy dresses but, just as in high school, some exaggerated with their make-up.

I shyly looked down at my purple dress which was held up around my neck. Half of my back was exposed but my hair disguised it, falling loosely in small curls that Lisa’s mom had made. The dress fell to my mid-thighs and I wore matching purple high heels to it. I clutched my small black purse in my lap.

“You look great,” Lisa smiled at me assuring.

I turned around when I noticed the conversations lowering, indicating that someone important had walked in. More heads turned and everyone watched Robert walking down the aisle to the front of the chairs, right up to the altar where the priest was already waiting. To the sides were a man and a woman I didn’t know but they surely had to mean a lot to the soon-to-be newly married couple.

Robert stopped in front of the altar and turned around. By then, the last conversations had stopped and everyone waited.

Right on cue, the wedding march started. Everyone stood up, me included. I momentarily forgot my purse and it fell to the ground. I wanted to curse but bit my lower lip and instead kicked the purse under my chair. Hopefully I wouldn’t forget it.

Lisa’s aunt looked breathtaking. Her white dress clung to her body, stressing her curves but she really had the body for it. It went down to the floor, a train following behind her. Her light brown hair was curled to perfection, hugging her face in beautiful waves. Her dress exposed her back, only covered by a see-through flower pattern. Tears glittered in her eyes.